Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: persuaded goats best  (Read 2462 times)

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
persuaded goats best
« on: April 20, 2013, 10:03:08 pm »
Hi

I originally thought about breeding alpaca but a few comments from this site got me thinking and i am now looking into goats as my main animal. 

I am considering selling milk and cheese.

Looking at anglo nubians

Any advice

Any courses as i admit to not knowing enough.

Ta

K

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: persuaded goats best
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 09:14:50 am »
Good decision. :)

Try to visit local goat keepers to see their set-ups and meet different breeds.
Check up on the regulations for selling milk and cheese, I think you'll need  seperate, scrubbable  milking and dairy rooms.

If you're anywhere near mid-Wales you're welcome to visit here.

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 10:35:56 pm »
Thanks

I do think it worth while visiting a few places to see what kind of set up I would need and the costs.

As I'm in the early stages all info is useful and things like if to buy nanny's or kids (I have already got the view that a billy is not a good idea), if to consider animals suitable showing, are there different lines of good pedigree, is it worth breeding to sell on?

I suspect the list goes on.

I would love to visit you Dogwalker but not sure when I can get that way on (I'm in East Yorkshrie), thanks for the offer.

Ta

K

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 09:13:51 am »
Hello Orinoco

You have made the same decision as I did Alpacas Vs Goats - I'm sure you will enjoy being a goat keeper and you are right to be making sure you learn as much as possible prior to taking them on.
Contact the British goat society or look on their site, you will find any local goat keepers/breeders on their site hopefully. You might find a local goat society affiliated to BGS too, we have one in Worcestershire that is very useful for learning more and networking.
A lot will be personal preference (ie. breeds/nanny vs kids etc) but I can certainly tell you what I wish I had known before keeping goats if that would help  ;)
Good luck with your new adventure!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 03:28:59 pm »
Good decision.  ANs are good for butter fat content but are not such prolific milkers as Sanaans (my own favourite) or Toggenburgs.

fiascofarm.com/ is an excellent site for info although it is American so some bit won't apply.

I'm also available for visits but maybe a bit far for you (Shropshire).

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 04:32:45 pm »
And AN's tend to have a few kids at a time (4 even 5 not unheard of....) so if homing kids is something that may be an issue (ie. you don't intend rearing for meat) you might want to consider a breed that has fewer  ;) Having said that, a friend of mines' togg had quads this spring which caught her offguard a bit  ;D
Oh and there are rumours in the goat world that AN's are prolific escape artists but personally I think all goats can be! Its more a case of ensuring your fencing is adequate.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 09:59:33 am »
Hi

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

I spoke to a lady the other day who had a cross for sale an Anglo Nubian with a Toggenburg not sure what your thoughts are on crossbreeds?

Thanks

K

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 10:42:26 am »
Hi,

We are in east yorkshire we have boer goats so no idea about milking but you are welcome to visit if you want to talk goats.

Sharon Peacock of Cockerham Boers runs goat care courses also doesnt buttercups goat sanctuary

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 10:49:17 am »
I have a couple of crossbreeds Orinoco :)  Savannah is a saanenX and also a maiden milker as the saanen side of her family came from very strong milk lines. In the summer we have 9 pints a day from her (never mated or kidded!)  my wether is toggX. Only thing is it might be harder to sell them on as compared to the pure breeds.
I've been looking to sell my boys on to a non-meat market as I need to downsize a bit and its hard to find interest (probably because they are wethers really!)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 10:58:53 am »
I know your quite a way from us in east Yorkshire but if you ever get up to Northumberland your more than welcome to pop in, we have Toggs and Boers, all the Toggs are milking so could give you some advice on milking
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS