Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: geese hay haylage  (Read 2050 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
geese hay haylage
« on: April 10, 2013, 08:27:46 pm »
do geese like hay and haylage i would expect so..... bloody grass is still asleep and later i may need to pen them up for a week sop i can spray the nettles etc
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:02:58 pm by harry »

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: geese hay haylage
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 11:41:37 pm »
Wouldn't hay be too long for them? Chance of blocking their crop? I thought they just liked to snip off the tender tips and they shouldn't be given anything longer than 4 inches in case of blockage. Would have thought you'd be better off keeping them on a mix of pellets and corn until you've got the grass sorted. Not sure though - still new to geese and we have plenty of short grass for them at the moment.

H

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 07:26:32 am »
No they don't like it and it would be dangerous, too long strands. They will manage fine with just some whole wheat and water until the grass arrives. I give one large scoop to 5 heavy geese per day and they overwinter fine even in the snow. They are tough cookies!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 07:32:13 am »
^ Ditto. AND they still lay an egg each every couple of days!  :)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 10:40:01 am »
Yup. All ours get is some corn in the evening. They forage for the rest and have thrived even over the bad winter that we've had. I think they'd have to be starving to start eating hay.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 04:53:20 pm »
ok scrapped that idea got some layers pellets

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS