Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: CALL DUCKS - info please  (Read 2261 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
CALL DUCKS - info please
« on: April 06, 2013, 09:13:46 pm »
We have a wee black and white call duck arrived on our pond who is calling frantically for a mate.  Don't know if it's a he or she - it's calling all the time, but as it's the first call duck we've seen here it's  unlikely to get a mate.

Do you know if it would be a he or she?

Do you have any call ducks you could sell to me, we'd like it to stay, it's very friendly.  I'm in the Scottish Borders, will put an ad in Marketplace too.

Many thanks.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
Re: CALL DUCKS - info please
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 09:28:58 pm »
If it is male then there will be very distinctive curled up feathers (1 or 2) on top of the tail.  If not there, then it's a female.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 09:33:28 pm »
Thanks colliew, should have remembered that, we keep Muscovy ducks and they don't have the curly bit, I'll have a look tomorrow, thanks  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 06:13:37 pm »
If its doing a loud Quacking it will be a female males like most other breeds make a much quieter noise
Graham

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 06:32:25 pm »
They don't call them Call Ducks for nothing - that was their sole purpose in breeding - that they incessantly quacked hence "calling" in the mallard which could then be shot.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 08:46:39 pm »
thanks all, 'it' is a 'she', wee black and white, happy little thing.  There's plenty of mallards around but they were there long before she arrived, they don't seem to like her although our Muscovy ducks don't seem to bother her or the geese so far but that may not last.  She's used to the routine that goes on here already so hopefully she'll find a mate, I may be lucky enough to find one for her.  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS