Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Walking goats and movement records  (Read 4507 times)

Cyberhell

• Joined Jan 2013
Walking goats and movement records
« on: April 04, 2013, 08:04:06 pm »
What are the rules re: walking goats off your land?  Ours will be (large) back garden housed but there's a lovely green on our estate with plenty of hawthorn and we were wondering about taking them for a walk onto there every so often.  Is that allowed, or frowned upon?  Do you get into recording movement in record book if you walk them?

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Walking goats and movement records
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 09:26:33 pm »
My rams regularly take themselves for a walk onto neighbouring veg plots! I would have thought ok but you could always check with animal health. If farmers can walk their sheep etc down lanes etc i don't see it being a problem.  You wouldn't need fill out movement forms but I would just make a note in your record boom when you took them out.

I use several fields within my village and I spoke to animal health and the were fine about moving without notifying cos within 5 miles of holding.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 09:43:40 pm »
Two of my kids went to a home in Inverness - they spoke to animal health and are allowed to walk them on the canal tow path as long as they keep records - it causes great hilarity when an oncoming dog off the lead realizes it's not going to get the better of this creature!!

Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 10:10:57 pm »
I thought you needed a licence to walk goats these days. obtainable from TS you have to set out a route and stick to it if I remember correctly.
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 10:32:07 pm »
In England you have to register all movements on to and off of your holding. I have 3 separate parcels of land all under the same holding. I often move the sheep and goats on foot between these and no record is needed. But if I were to move them to my neighbors field which is closer but under a different CPH I would need to fill in a licence ::)
Best bet is to ask AH and get a walking licence I reckon, then you know you are safe :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 11:39:16 pm »
The regs used to be that you contacted animal health for one of two types of licence.

One where you were unlikely to meet any other farm stock on a specified route, and the other where the animal would be mixing with other farm animals.

So I would contact council animal health.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 12:26:36 am »
I used to walk mine to a playing field at the end of our road, conveniently forgetting about movement forms.  There were several near mishaps with cars going past whose drivers couldn't believe their eyes.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 09:59:54 pm »
Yes, there are animal walking licences you can get. Not too hard to get them I believe.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS