Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Where are all the Angoras???  (Read 3002 times)

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
Where are all the Angoras???
« on: April 02, 2013, 08:00:27 pm »
Does anybody know of an angora breeder or any for sale at all?
I have been looking for a full year without success  :(
The best I have found have been crossbreeds - presumably the pure breeds have become quite rare.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Where are all the Angoras???
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 10:00:53 pm »
Have you tried the angora goat society, several herds with stock for sale, if not now there will be later in the year. Where in the country are you?
What are you looking for, I've just had the first kids born from my new ones, just out to give one her bedtime bottle. ;D

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 09:15:24 am »
There aren't that many left in all honesty! I knew someone who had a small breeding group but he sold his last year only keeping a whether as company for his milker.

Whereabouts are you, as I believe there are a few in Scotland? No one has bred them commercially in the uk for years- since the bust in Angoras in the early nineties.

Beth

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 09:38:03 am »
I love Angoras, would be very tempted if there were any for sale,  but I havent seen any either...

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 11:49:12 am »
There is a flock near us, as far as I know they are pure bred, I was going to use the Billy last year, my own boy got to her first! Curious to know how a hairy Togg x Angora would look

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 11:52:36 am »
There's been some on Preloved,Wolverhampton/Shropshire way I think

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 11:54:36 am »
I was on holiday in Pembrokeshire during Feb half-term and I visited this lady and saw her small flock.  She also has a cottage industry of angora products that she makes.

http://www.blueberryangoras.co.uk/

However, she was selling up to move back to England to be nearer family.  We actually looked up the price of the small-holding but it was way beyond our price range.  I am not sure if she was taking the herd or selling them too.

Donna

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 12:01:42 pm »
There are several herds in Wales, at least two in Devon and Hampshire and some in Lincolnshire.
The per=ople I hired a buck from have about 150 and have 19 yearling bucks, so less than there used to be but still around.

The registered herds and society members have dwindled due to finances and age (people's not goat's),  the British Mohair Marketting are now selling mohair via auctions in South Africa.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 12:05:52 pm »
A friend of mine just sold 5 females and someone drove down from Scotland to the midlands to collect them!

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 01:56:11 pm »
I am in the Midlands.

I saw the Wolverhampton ones but they looked like crosses and when I enquired the seller said there were only a couple of wethers left  :(

Will keep looking  ;D

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 02:00:43 pm »
Hi - I have three!  I keep considering selling them , but can't make up my mind.  They are registered.  I am in Yorkshire between Keighley and Skipton.  PM me if you want more details.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 04:41:03 pm »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS