Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How many eggs do I give a broody?  (Read 1722 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
How many eggs do I give a broody?
« on: April 09, 2013, 01:44:07 pm »
Had a broody hatch 3 chicks today, with a further 3 dead that she has squished.

I think the broody coop is too small but I also wondered how many eggs a broody should be given. I gave her about 9 or 10 but maybe this is too many?

Can anyone help?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: How many eggs do I give a broody?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 01:48:11 pm »
Depends on the size of the broody and the size of the eggs.  I generally give large, soft-feathered fowl around 9 but prefer not to use the standard triangle shaped broody coop.  In the past I've rigged up everything from a calf-dehorning crate to a water tank as a broody coop.  I also use shavings as bedding with just a few wisps of straw for her to arrange as a nest - chicks can easily get tangled up in a forest of bedding in a small space.

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: How many eggs do I give a broody?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 01:49:18 pm »
That sounds about right, but it depends on the size of the egg and the size of the hen. I would give my bantam Australorps about 5 or 6 normal sized hens eggs and up to 12 normal eggs for a normal sized hen. She's maybe been a bit clumsy when turning the eggs - is she a new mum?

(cross posted with Marches Farmer! Great mind sand all that  :thumbsup: )

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS