Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What type of fencing?  (Read 4061 times)

juleshew

• Joined Feb 2013
What type of fencing?
« on: March 09, 2013, 09:09:13 pm »
I have good hedging and deep ditches around my fields but need to put some fencing up to keep horses and sheep (and the dogs) out of the ditches. What would everyone recommend? I was thinking single rail with sheep netting below??
Any advice gratefully received

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: What type of fencing?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 10:07:59 pm »
Ideally a stock net with smaller holes than sheep net, which will keep any lambs from getting stuck and horses from getting their legs through (very nasty and quite possible).
However, the small holed stuff (eg tornado horsemesh) is heavier and more expensive in material cost and also cos of weight is best as a high tension fence which means a proper fencer with proper equipment which costs a LOT.
So in reality a lot of people would use sheep mesh (smaller holes at base, bigger ones at top) with a wire above. No barbed wire for sheep and horses tho. If the horses lean on/over  it you can add an offset electric on the top.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 09:35:32 pm »
Pin the netting to the back of the fence posts - and the single rail to the front - helps stops ponies getting to close depending on size - but in all honesty if a pony gets that close to a rail its broken anyway ;)

If the field is used for lambing - its just a case of checking them on a regular basis.  For sheep in general - if they are sticking heads through fences, maybe you need to put them in a field with more grass in (although they do regulary get stuck anyway I spose :)

The only field I have post and railed with two rails and sheep netting is the campsite - and thats just cos it looks good for campers in summer and the only field that it was financially feasable. All the other fields are stock fence and barbed.

I'm more worried about electric fences than stock fence - at least on your checks you can pull a sheep out after a few hours and its ok - electric netting they are dead in 10 minutes.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 07:42:25 pm »
Post and rail for the horses, metal stock fencing for the sheep.
Stock fencing and horses do not mix; horses feet can get caught up in the wire, which in turn can get pushed in between the horses shoe and foot - with some nasty injuries resulting.
Stock netting (whether connected to the electricity supply or not) is only suitable on a temporary basis, and only where under supervision. Can be nasty stuff and is to be avoided.
Barbed wire is a no no with any stock.

gareth_elms

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 10:16:11 pm »
Consider maybe post and rail and tornado lambsafe netting behind the post and rail fence, ideally stock net wants to be stock side but the safety of the horses is your priority.

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 09:08:01 am »
We've done our main fence with 4ft stock fence & 3 strands of electric wire for the ponies & sheep - electric at pony bum height, face height & one at the top.  So far so good   :fc:
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS