Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Starting With Soay  (Read 3027 times)

richmorpygmygoats

• Joined Nov 2010
    • Show Qyality Pygmy Goats
Starting With Soay
« on: March 24, 2013, 01:23:12 pm »
Hi All
I am planning to start keeping Soay sheep. I have joined the Soay Sheepp society.

Any advice would be great

Regards
Rich
Breeder & Exhibitor of Pygmy Goats
   www.richmorpygmygoats.co.uk

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
Re: Starting With Soay
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 01:58:37 pm »

Good luck Soay's are great sheep, just make sure your fences are up to scratch and you have a few friends to help you get them rounded up until they get used to you, Feed them regularly to help tame them down and after they've worked up the courage they should follow a bucket happily. There are older posts on here for Soay's handling maintenance ect so have a look a few pages back. And check out my website to see my little flock.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 06:19:08 pm »
As SheepCrazy says there are lots of previous posts, quite long, going into plenty of detail about managing Soay.  If you have some more specific info about your circumstances and experience, and just what you need to know then I'm sure we can oblige  :) :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 12:53:51 am »
make sure your fences are up to it - ours are incredibly determined when grass is in short supply and the grass is greener on the otherside! Ours regularly go walkabout but they make their own way back by tea time every day! They are greedy buggers when nuts are available and that is the key to getting them where you want them. Also the more you have the easier it is to move them. They are a bit less jumpy when theres more of them. get them bucket trained from an early age. The sound of a rattling bucket gets ours running from three fields away! if you can cope with their intelligence, you will be rewarded by this facinating breed of easycare fantastic mothers.

richmorpygmygoats

• Joined Nov 2010
    • Show Qyality Pygmy Goats
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 09:29:01 pm »
Thank you all for your info and help. All advice taken on board!! Will keep you posted on any developments when we get them

Thanks again
Rich
Breeder & Exhibitor of Pygmy Goats
   www.richmorpygmygoats.co.uk

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2013, 08:17:11 am »
Get a rifle  ;D

Pikeman

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 11:11:36 am »
We have soay and they were our first sheep, just 5 but collecting a ram tomorrow to add to the flock. Great sheep hat are pretty self sufficient and hardy. In the recent snow they just stood out despite access to a stable. No sheering, they just malt in the spring and if you look closely they always look like they are smiling. Can be very flighty to catch.

Richard Underwood

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Cathilas Farm Soay - Hogget & Prime Mutton
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 08:07:57 pm »
Pikeman's comment about Soay smiling made me think of this photo of one of our ewe lambs.

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 11:00:49 am »

Aw shes so cute! :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS