Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shearlings.... Do they pop early or late?  (Read 2265 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Shearlings.... Do they pop early or late?
« on: March 29, 2013, 08:16:37 am »
Just wondered if shearling tend to lamb before 147 days or after?

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Shearlings.... Do they pop early or late?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 09:15:16 am »
I think it depends a bit on breed. South Downs tend to go a day or two early. I tend to watch closely from 142 days and longest has been 149 days I think. I've got Southdown, mules and Suffolk/Suffolk x

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 02:05:20 pm »
Generally they will lamb when you dont want them to  ;D

mine seem to lamb on or around the due date, give or take a week

HTH
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 02:15:37 pm »
Earliest my Southdowns have arrived is 6 days early (this year), latest 9 days late (Winter of 2011).  Generally reckon first-timers a day or two late, whereas old hands with twins a couple of days early.  Having said that all of ours have been2 to 6 days early so far, including two first-timers with 2 day early singles and one with 3 day early twins!   Badger Faced have generally gone a couple of days over.  One year 2 of 20 Lleyns had a massive prolapse, went into labour and had to have Caesareans a week early.  One set of twins delivered dead, the other alive, but neither ewe had milk, so had to adopt on.  Don't like Lleyns.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 05:51:22 pm »
Thats all really interesting! My shearlings are suffolk cross Mules so i will start to check at nights before the due date

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS