Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: AI  (Read 3453 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
AI
« on: March 23, 2013, 07:52:35 pm »
Can anyone give me an idea of cost of semen straws and vet fees for AI'ing goats? Just wondering whether a better option than trying to take all my girls to a billy next season.

Not sure how the success rate is and if cost works out about same as stud fee and livery if staying.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: AI
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 08:18:40 pm »
Firsr speak to your Vet.....hemay never have AI'd a goat !!!
Straws are typically £15 + cost of transport the straws and then returning the container to source.
Genus might be helpful with the transport as they are geared up for it.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 09:37:50 pm »
For semen straws through the BGS you would now pay 25 pounds plus transport (in liquid Nitrogen). There are BGS approved inseminators about, I am sure BGS could pooint you in the right direction. I have done laprascopic AI (where the semen is directly inserted into the tubes through a tiny hole in the abdomen) on one GG this last autumn, and will definitely repeat that this coming autumn. Is done by Innovis - incredible service, and they store semen for you (for an annual fee). Find out how far away you are form one of their centres. (I am lucky, less than 40miles from one!)

Add-on costs for (laprascopic) AI are: sponges (2 per goat plus getting vet to insert if you are not sure about doing it yourself), one bottle of PMSG (contains about 12 doses I think, but needs to be used fresh when opened, so you would have to buy a while bottle even for doing only a few goats), then driving goat(s) truly, madly, deeply in season to Innovis (don't stop at petrol station unless you want RSPCA to be called... :-J  by unsuspecting mootorists, who really don't have a clue about goats-who-must-see-a-billy-that-afternoon), costs at Innovis is (I think) 15 pounds plus VAT. Homeward journey is actually a lot more peaceful...

Depending on what straws you are after - I think AI is just about becoming really feasible! No billy smell, at all.....

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 09:08:37 am »
Thanks Anke, will chat with vet and investigate Innovis. Sounds expensive though when you list all those add-ons.  Would be fine if all 5 would come in season at same time but highly unlikely!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 10:18:31 am »
Our vet diesn't seem interested in doing AI so we would have had to go and do the courses etc ourselves. Thankfully eventually found a suitable billy within a 100 mile radius
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 01:00:47 pm »
Turns out my vet handles Philip Hall's Beaufort Herd who all had embryo implants. Hopefully they will be more experienced with goats now.  Would be lovely to use one of their imported billies but think they might be a bit pricey!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 03:46:46 pm »
Thanks Anke, will chat with vet and investigate Innovis. Sounds expensive though when you list all those add-ons.  Would be fine if all 5 would come in season at same time but highly unlikely!

With sponging on the same day you will have them all inseason on the same day and then AI-ed all together. So kidding could all be over and done with in a few days too....

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 06:13:24 pm »
Turns out my vet handles Philip Hall's Beaufort Herd who all had embryo implants. Hopefully they will be more experienced with goats now.  Would be lovely to use one of their imported billies but think they might be a bit pricey!

You can buy straws off them for £100 imported from australia or £40 off their imported boers
Graham

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 06:15:26 pm »
Yes just contacted him and he should be able to AI himself after September. Hoping to go and look at his setup and it might give me some ideas. I am so disorganised.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 07:58:17 pm »
Any one have any conntact details for doing an AI course? Tvm verdi

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 09:36:33 pm »
Any one have any conntact details for doing an AI course? Tvm verdi

The BGS is running one in ???? in SEptember, somewhere in the middle of the UK (I think). But you need to be a BGS member - if you are contact BGS office or Christine Ball.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 10:55:58 pm »
We have tried AI as well, though with limited success so far!

Laproscopic is much cheaper than I thought it would be, cost me £36 for two goats. However, previously there was the cost of the straws, the sponges and the PMSG, which does bump up the cost a bit. I got all my straws from 1 breeder, and she took them straight to innovis in Malvern for me, in her own tank. I gave her fuel money along with the cost of the straws, and innovis didn't charge for moving the straws from Malvern to Edinburgh, which was great, and very quick too. Buying a bigger batch of straws saves money on transport costs though as well.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS