Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeling very down right now :(  (Read 8110 times)

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: Feeling very down right now :(
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 11:24:00 am »
Snow was horizontal here first thing.  It's not so windy now but still snowing and very cold.  The lambing field is like a bog near the barn because of us walking back and forth to it.   :raining:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 11:37:26 am »
Times like this I really wish we had more land so I could decant everyone onto a fresh field even if there is no grass on it.

Really want to scream today.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Cosmo

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Ludlow,Shropshire
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 12:07:41 pm »
I have a farmer friend in Devon who used to get a lot of infections in lambs while using spectam he now gives every lamb born a small antibiotic pill when he does their navels this works for him, I think it's called Moxycare or Amoxycare (I probably haven't spelt it right) for him I think it worked out at something like 9p a lamb but obviously he could buy in bulk.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 03:06:41 pm »
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I know there are people who are much worse off than me. I'll stay positive!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2013, 05:22:21 pm »
At times like this we have certain sayings that we chant like a mantra:  If it was easy everyone would be doing it.  Lambing is never the same two years running.  If it starts badly, it'll end well.  Whether the weather be hot, or whether the weather be not, we'll weather the weather, whatever the weather, whether we like it or not.
Summer's on its way.  Oh, and the final thing is to call down a blessing on the head of the person who invented the electric blanket.

Does it help?  I don't know but here we are still lambing again this year. 

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2013, 05:31:07 pm »
Re: Feeling very down right now :(« Reply #12 on: Today at 10:00:24 AM »If you are local Andy, I have some spare conventional hay bales sitting in a shed, doing nothing. Just think, in a months times, we could be standing in the blazing sunshine, the grass growing, and lambs charging around. Things can only get better!  :thumbsup:   where are you Novice ?? would be helpful if you are local ?
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2013, 07:11:28 pm »
Watched "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" the other night - the young Indian chap's mantra was "It will be all right in the end. And if it's not all right, then it's not the end" which I thought was pretty good.

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2013, 08:10:39 pm »
I am in the Cranbrook/Headcorn area. Is that local Andywalt?

raygezer

• Joined Jan 2011
  • brittany
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2013, 08:20:04 pm »
Hi not sure if this post helps i think most of us are in the same boat.as for me i live in brittany the worst weather scince i moved here 8 years ago.i have used twice the amount of hay just because my sheep and horses have been in so much fields are so water logged i try and pick good days for them all to go out.on a good note we have finished lambin 5 ewes 11 lambs worth all the early mornings and late nights now its all finished it feels like spring is on its way.hope this helps evev a little.bon chance

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 09:17:16 pm »
we had to dig ourselves to our sheep this morning, not joking we had drifts of 5-6 ft.  the disco took 2 hours to dig out of a drift as we had abandoned it last night, we walked a mile to get to it. when we dug it out and got it to the side of the road so a snow plough could get through,if and when it comes!!!  we then walked another mile and half to get to the sheep,, they were all sat patiently in the barn waiting for breakfast  :relief: . which they got 4 hours late at 11am

water had to be got from a fresh water pond by bucket.  at 5pm we walked another mile and half to a main road to get picked up by our lovely son in law, it was blocked... never mind we just kept walking until we found him.  we got home at 7pm.

tomorrow we will have to do the same.

yes you could say i am a bit fed up with the weather :gloomy:   

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 10:00:12 pm »
Oh HG that sounds like a pretty tough day - hope tomorrow is better  :fc:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2013, 10:04:05 am »
Warm thoughts going out to everyone who is battling the snow.  It's still bitter cold here but the snow is melting so things must be looking up.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2013, 09:25:14 pm »
Thanks for the kind thoughts Brucklay.... but today wasn't ...at least we didn't have to dig the car out

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2013, 09:55:39 pm »
We'll go for tomorrow then!! Wind is down here so even though our track of is full of snow checking the sheep is easier  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS