Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breach Twins  (Read 1726 times)

Marlboro

• Joined Jan 2013
  • West Wales
  • 42 sheep, 5 ducks 10 chickens and Meg
Breach Twins
« on: March 24, 2013, 06:26:20 pm »
My one shearling speckled lambed this morning. Last year as a hog the lamb was breach, well  I watched her for a while and she is very vocal and decided I had better have a look. Got my OH out of bed, he does nights, and when we got her sorted there were four back feet :-\. I made the sensible decision to try to pull the two most forward and within 2 minutes had two lovely live lambs.

Is this going to be a habit of hers, I thought it was pure chance, Her babies are beautiful and I'm thinking of keeping the boy whole as dad is lovely too. I have kept her daughter from last year and she is very pretty, didn't go to the tup as it's her dad, this years daughter is on the to keep list too. Are they likely to cause problems of the same nature?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Breach Twins
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 06:37:27 pm »
I find it is the same sheep who re-offend. It is really quite striking when you start to note who has problems how it is always the same ones.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 07:35:51 pm »
I'm keeping really detailed notes on which ewe had what in the way of lambs and problems there were if any.  Last year we had one who had twins but would only let one feed, although she was protective of both.  Didnt keep a record of her tag number so I dont know it's the same one that is doing similar this year but I've got her number now after she butted my bum while I was giving the rejected little soul a bottle!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 07:56:21 pm »
This is the useful thing about EID - I am one of those weirdos who likes that system and I am looking forward to having the funds to get a hand held tag reader/computer so that I know at a glance who I am culling and why, will make it dead easy to sort them after lambing is over.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS