Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help please... What trees should I grow??  (Read 8327 times)

Wood

• Joined Jan 2011
Help please... What trees should I grow??
« on: March 02, 2013, 05:37:24 pm »
Hi I have about 1.5 acres in my field I want to plant trees on. I want to invest in some trees that will yield a crop in about 10years and might end up a good investment.

I don't have any farm equipment ie tractors etc but would welcome advice and guidance.

Eventually once the trees are large enough I would probably let the pigs into the field as well if that counts for anything??

Look forward to harvesting everyone's knowledge.

Thanks

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Help please... What trees should I grow??
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 05:39:44 pm »
We grow willow which is very fast, all depends what plan you have for the wood.

Wood

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 05:48:30 pm »
We are open to any suggestions like a blank canvass!!

Had thought growing for logs or Christmas trees for sale direct to public.

What do you do with your Willow??

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 06:50:04 pm »
When we bought out 2 acres we had plans to plant chestnut for coppicing.  Sill thinking about it, but now we have planted about 40 fruit trees and we keep pigs separate to the fruit trees.  Just planted three walnuts today and I am absolutely pooped!  Solid clay :(   It really depends what use you have for the wood - you need to do some research and find out whether there is a market for chestnut/willow/christmas trees/whatever near you before planting.  You might find that there are too many people doing it on a large scale to compete.  I still might put some of our land to chestnut - just for our use though.  Good luck with whatever you choose!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 06:51:09 pm »
We have planted a big block of willow (mostly for biomas (burning), but some basket varieties) and also a block of mixed native - have a look on the Forestry commission what is native to your area (or just look around).  Hazel, Silver Birch, Ash (when its available again), sweet chestnut all coppice well (sort of like 'cut and come again' for trees!) and would always but some slow growers (inc oak) in for standards - though you wont live to see the benefit.  You may be able to get a Forestry Commission grant tawards some of the costs - where are you? 

lars64

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 07:34:00 pm »
I think that xmas trees COULD be good, but only if you have a market identified.  If you can sell from the roadside maybe?  We've grown a few and they don't compete well with grass or weeds so groundcover and good management (rabbit fencing, pruning, etc.) is essential.  We've put in some biomass willow (make a proper dibber!) but more for our own use.  Too early to report any experience, but fairly expensive to set up.  Currently planting a cider apple orchard!

Wood

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 07:59:45 pm »
We are in Sheffield.

There is someone close that is growing Poplar trees for firewood I think.

Read a few posts about Christmas trees and maybe thinking they might be an option as well as providing abit of coverage cos one side of the field is roadside.

Think I need to look into price of logs cos everyone is getting log burners so might be a market for them all year? Anyone gave ideas for best log burning tree species??

Oly

• Joined Feb 2013
  • South Cheshire
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 08:10:10 pm »
We are in Sheffield.

There is someone close that is growing Poplar trees for firewood I think.

Read a few posts about Christmas trees and maybe thinking they might be an option as well as providing abit of coverage cos one side of the field is roadside.

Think I need to look into price of logs cos everyone is getting log burners so might be a market for them all year? Anyone gave ideas for best log burning tree species??

Unfortunately Ash is best for burning! :(

Re Christmas trees, a couple near us needed planning permission to change 3 acres agri to 1 acre equine (have a couple if horses) and 1 acre forestry (for christmas trees)...apparently this is quite common given the numbers of folk now doing it and the impact on the surrounding area, particularly if sold on site too.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 08:31:36 pm »
Apples? With the right rootstock you could run pigs below them in about 4-5 years, you get a cash crop you can sell direct as fruit, juice or cider, and they will supplement the pig diet.

If you didn't want to use/sell the fruit yourself there might be someone nearby willing to buy them - our local winery buys surplus apples each year for about 40p/kilo.

Just a thought.  :)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2013, 07:28:07 pm »
We planted our willow to soak up water that we kept getting in our bottom paddock. Also to break the wind for the ponies. they grow fast and have helped a great deal with our wet problem.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 08:09:15 pm »
Tree guards would have to be exceptionally good to keep pigs from trashing the trees and their root systems.  The pigs farmed by the previous owner of our place  managed to kill a 200 year old oak in a month - wonder how long a 15 year old tree would take?  Poplar is a poor wood for burning.  Ash is the king for fast growth and not needing seasoning, but with chalara fraxinea romping trough the UK no longer a goer, alas.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 08:22:46 pm »
sycamore is a reasonable burning wood, grows like a weed and would be next to nothing to start up..
the best value would be the crop that saves you the most money. rather than trying to sell for profit.
there is a good chance that the firewood market could be saturated if the ash crisis reaches its terrible potential.

Wood

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 07:34:29 pm »
Think I might have a look into Christmas trees with maybe a few other trees mixed in for good measure.

Want to keep the pigs or sheep each year so might do a separate area... All these decisions!!

Thanks for all your help, as ever a wealth of knowledge.

Thanks

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 01:28:54 pm »
I'd second willow as an option - grows easily and quickly and so easy to propagate. I'm planning in doing the same as you but going to use different species, hopefully oak, hazel, cherry and hawthorn...
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 03:17:29 pm »
Maybe think about if you are keeping livestock - feed prices are high and it's good to have your own feed as much as poss, apples=piggies is great.

You might not be in the frame of mind that would contemplate making your own wine from trees (elder, flowers, berries, spring oak leaf, autumn oak leaf etc, list is endless, cider of course) but you may be in 5 years time, so think ahead at possible business ideas, as you say you want investment.

Good luck - let us know what you do!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS