Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What are we doing wrong?  (Read 4911 times)

Lilljoho

• Joined Mar 2013
What are we doing wrong?
« on: March 17, 2013, 03:16:00 pm »
I'm at my wits end!

We got 6 Cade lambs at 3 days old, they are all 21/2 weeks now.

However 2nd day when had them we had to treat all for pneumonia, then one seems joint ill makes involvement than two days later reluctant to stand again, drinks well. He also has been treated for white muscle disease!

This week we've lost two to watery mouth! We tried treating them but it didn't work :-(

We now have another which I think is joint ill!

I can't cope, it's not like I haven't raised lambs before and I've never had the magnitude of problems.

We're spending a fortune and lambs are bright but problem keep arising.

All fed 250-300mls four times a day. Creep and water available and they have a heat lamp. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: What are we doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 03:20:02 pm »
These things seem to come in storms - can't offer any advice, but you have my sympathy  :hug:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 06:35:55 pm »
Did they all come from the same farm?  You know who to avoid next time.   I don't know about white muscle disease, but the other ailments can be ascribed to poor management at birth ie before you got them.

I have never kept cade lambs but I hear so many stories of them failing to thrive, and so few where the whole lot do well, that I will not be keeping them in future either.   If you have room for three ewes, you might find that breeding your own lambs will be better.   :sofa:  hiding because I know there are plenty of lambing problems this year too.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 07:51:44 pm »
I would guess it may be that the lambs didn't have their navels doused in 10% iodine nor the correct amount of colostrum in the first few hours after birth. If this is the case they'll probably always struggle.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 08:09:14 pm »
...... and /or lack of ewe vaccination.   Buying in any orphan animal unless you know where it came from is a gamble. 

:hug: hope things improve.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 08:11:32 pm »
Only reared lambs once and apart from 1 getting a but snuffly and after a dose of AB cleared up all of they where fit and healthy. we are hopefully getting more next month.
Sounds like there was something wrong with them before you got them
Graham

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 08:15:39 pm »
Hand rearing always poses a risk.  You can only do your best the rest is down to their inner strength. I hope your survivors pull through for all your hard work  :hug:

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 08:39:22 pm »
Oh dear.  It's such a shame when you have done so much for them.  :hug:

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 10:10:43 pm »
Doesn't sound like they've had the best start before you got them. It's pot luck though, orphans are a bit hit and miss- last year I had 6 and had a good year- the only problem we had was 1 got a touch of pneumonia. This year I've got 12- 3 got orf, 2 wouldn't drink, 1 got mild joint ill (caught that one quick so he was fine), 1 has had an abscess... but they are all over whatever they've had wrong now and doing well... but it is risky and you do lose them.

Lilljoho

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 12:30:34 pm »
Thanks everyone, it really is disheartening.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 01:35:27 pm »
They also have a really nasty habit of growing in to smashing lambs, get to weaning and then.... drop dead for no apparent reason.   

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 02:12:20 pm »
They also have a really nasty habit of growing in to smashing lambs, get to weaning and then.... drop dead for no apparent reason.

Pulpey kidney - if the dam wasn't vaccinated (or the lambs early enough).

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 04:22:20 pm »
From our experience cades are the hardest to try and rear. If you get a really healthy batch who've had a great start with colostrum etc then you might be in with a chance but on the whole you are trying to raise lambs who are already 'challenged' !   don't blame yourself, its not what YOU are doing wrong probably, its just the way it is.
Even my really healthy 3 cades from last year gave me headaches with bloat and I spent many nights out there with tubes of ginger n oil, rubbing bellies, making them stand and not just die on me!  Good luck. 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 04:37:16 pm »
Where you get them is often the key to them living and doing well. I buy from the farm near me as I know James. I also inject them for pulpey kidney just to be on the safe side. Some times things just go wrong with sheep no matter how hard you try. :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS