Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What a weekend  (Read 1698 times)

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
What a weekend
« on: March 17, 2013, 10:05:48 pm »
Not quite as planned.....
GOS Sow started farrowing motions late Friday night, up until 4am. Fortunately all according to plan and sow in barn and separated from the other sow (friday morning) to allow nesting. Result 7 piglets, last 2 were breach and I had to fish them out, but all well despite sub zero temps.
Today, were were planning to bring Longwool ewes into another barn and set up hurdles etc, due to lambing anticipated early this week, but kept being delayed due to piglet visitors ( my girls primary school friends). One of the visitors wanted to see her namesake lamb, born last year, so OH and 2 girls trudged through snow to visit sheep. So fortunate that they did. OH noticed 1 ewe down at the bottom of the field. Shuttled visitors back to parents and went to investigate. Classic bag being dragged around by ewe, so he called for me. Within the space of 30 minutes we had triplets!!!! In the snow, bottom of the field.  :o . Let them bond for a while whilst OH got a trailer and managed to get them back up to the barn. All ewes now in, and triplets seem to be OK for now. Not sure if they will all make it as they did get a bit cold, but fingers crossed. Hope the other ewes not quite such a drama. ( Will post pictures later, promise  :) )
Jo
PS kids are desperate to bring lambs into kitchenn to feed. keep telling them this is not the easy option.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: What a weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 10:15:22 pm »
Sounds busy at your place. Snow! I was expecting it here up north but nothing appeared for us. You poor people.   :bouquet: hope the triplets do well  :fc:

Children are dreamers  :love: bless their innocence.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 11:45:39 pm »
Wow, funny how things always happen at the worse times, but hope all goes well for the triplets and the rest of your mummies :thumbsup:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 02:24:11 am »
Blimey, that doesn't sound like it was fun! Well done you (and well done kids for wanting to see sheep). Hope the rest are a little more convenient  ;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 04:10:36 am »
Hope all the babies are well - piglets and lambs  :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS