Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Draining an abscess on the face  (Read 6037 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Draining an abscess on the face
« on: March 13, 2013, 08:02:33 pm »
Not having a lot of luck with my orphan crew this year  :-\  one of my 2nd batch has an abscess on her face, near enough on her jaw. It came up quite quickly to the size of about a 50p piece and fairly deep, I left alone and kept an eye on it, the skin went bald and yesterday it burst on its own accord- there was a scab. Had another look tonight just to see she was ok and it burst again- I literally only touched the surface, didn't press or poke it. There's a fair amount of gunk and pus in there. Have sprayed it with purple spray, and will give her some pen and strep in the morning, but is there any way I can draw the abscess out? I would poultice but being on her face it's a bit hard to vetwrap  ::) ;D 

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
Re: Draining an abscess on the face
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 08:25:26 pm »

I don't know about drawing it out but personally I'd keep it open with the scab off and as clean as possible (easier said than done) until all the pus a gunk has come out and I'd wash it with and antibiotic of some sort like a hypie, hippie scrub (sorry can't spell it)  or and iodine solution probably twice a day. Then spay it again.

If it heals over but there is poison inside that can lead to bigger problems hopefully the jag sorts it out  :fc: Good luck

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 08:37:39 pm »
It scabbed over after the first time it burst but tonight it's burst around the scab. Is it better to open it up in the morning and flush out? Thanks for the advice :)

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 08:47:03 pm »

Personally I would just to let it drain out the poison. If its swollen up again anyway,  then it should't be to hard to burst  like you it did tonight.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 09:34:56 pm »
Usually best to keep open and keep cleaning so it heals inside out. There may be a foreign body in there, thorn or something and it won't heal if left in. I'm sure our friendly vet will be along shortly with graphic details on how to deal with it.

Have a good look with a bright torch once you have cleaned it. See if any red spots or strange looking bits. Might be worth phoning vet in case they have something better to give.  :fc:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 09:45:09 pm »
I'd try enlarging the burst area to allow you to flush it a few times a day with a weak iodine solution. Try and open it enough to get the little nib of a syringe in then you can flush gently with the solution massaging the solution back out of the hole and pus with it. ( you can do this a couple of times each session. Try keeping it open  for a few days until all pus is gone otherwise it will just refill if it closes too soon.
Definitely cover her with pen/strep. ( sorry I don't know the routine dosage for sheep ).

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 10:38:55 pm »
I quite agree with the above.
Abscesses are likely to heal themselves if given either drainage or antibiotics.
If giving both, then they have the best possible shot.
Ideally a dilute iodine/hibiscrub solution flushed in with the tip of a syringe (without needle attached) is the best way to get all the pus and nasties out.
Pen/strep is great for the usual abscess bugs.
Should go down over the next wee while if you keep going like that
:)
Suzanne

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 07:33:41 am »
We have always been given the same advise for dealing with abcesses. For me cat he usually gets them on his shoulder where hes been fighting with other cats and been bitten, because of where it is we usually give it an initial clean and then leave it as gravity does the job of draining.

For our rabbits we had to syringe (no needle) with an iodine solution until there was no sign of infection. We knew there was no foreign body inthere though

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 10:46:01 am »
Great thanks everyone. Burst it again this morning and opened it up, got all the pus out and have cleaned with dilute hibiscrub. Will clean 2 or 3 times a day and spray with purple spray. She'll have another jab of pen&strep later.
I'm at a loss as to how she got it, I've had her 3 weeks and she's been in all that time. She's had a touch of orf but that was treated and cleared up, this didn't have a scab or anything so cant see it being anything to do with that. She seems bright in herself and is drinking milk so fingers crossed it clears up quickly  :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS