Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wounded Hen  (Read 2082 times)

eddiecartwright

• Joined Mar 2013
Wounded Hen
« on: March 10, 2013, 08:20:26 pm »
Just picked up 3 new hens today to add to the existing flock. When I transported the hens, I think one of them must have pecked at the other. The wound is the size of a golf ball and is bleeding. Not sure if I should end the suffering of persist.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Wounded Hen
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 08:36:24 pm »
Ooh good lord!  No idea whether you should persist (I definitely would, but then I am a bit soft with things like this) but that looks awful!  hens can be so nasty.  Good luck whatever you choose to do.

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 09:27:12 pm »
id just cleaner her up and put some sort of wound powder/spray on and keep her seperate until it dry and clean she should be fine they, hens are horrible creatures for this, saw one at sales other day doing the same to her cockeral companion.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 10:08:12 pm »
I agree. If mine I'd see improvement overnight.
Salt water to bathe area then antiseptic spray and warmth and TLC. She could be down with shock initially. If she is depressed tomorrow then I think I'd call it a day. If she is relatively bright then continue with batheing in salt water an antiseptic spray until inflammation is reduced.
 :fc: she improves

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 06:24:39 pm »
I'm soft too - I've gone as far as using a dry pad on a wound and putting a body bandage round to protect it - a crepe bandage works, fastened with a couple of strips of elastoplast..
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

deepinthewoods

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 07:28:08 pm »
and for balance.
i would have ended it quick.
its going to be a long drawn out painful job for that chicken to recover. and i mean for her, not for you and the work you will have to do.

i would make soup. and buy another hen. but this is my opinion.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 07:55:12 pm »
How long were they in transit Eddie? The problem you have is the pecker, not the victim. She will heal with minor attention (but watch the poos -green is infection). Problem is the pecker has tasted blood and will want more. She needs identifying and despatching.

eddiecartwright

• Joined Mar 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 09:08:06 pm »
I've segregated the hen into a dog cage and put her in my shed with a blanket over the cage. She seams OK and I have put some savlon dry Iodine spray on the wound. Will monitor her over the next few days, and if she looks in pain, then I think it's game over. If she looks perky and eating and drinking, then will persist.  :fc: :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS