Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Teat sharing  (Read 3324 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Teat sharing
« on: March 01, 2013, 07:47:57 pm »
I have read in many posts that kids tend to have a side each and stick to it. My two kids seem to be sharing one side and the other seems fit to burst. This morning I took about 150ml off but my technique needs improving! She is a dairy goat so presumably will have plenty of milk.

My question is how much should I take off, if at all? I bought her knowing she had a lopsided udder and the one side needs keeping an eye on and milking more than other.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: Teat sharing
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 11:01:54 pm »
Can you not latch the kids onto the full side if you cant manage to milk her  ?
Is she a full dairy or dairy/Boer cross  ?  When Cherry one of our Toggs kidded she had so much milk we where taking  1 1/2 pints off her morning and night  because the kids where not taking enough from her  ::)
Graham

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 09:15:22 am »
I tried but teat is nearly touching ground! I will keep trying although they seem quite happy. Mum still very sore as needed vet assistance to deliver, beyond my capabilities. I think she is full dairy. Bought her at cull value (supposedly!) so I could have milking practice.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 05:00:26 pm »
Do you intend to milk her for the house at any point?
If so I would strip the ignored quarter completely and so long as no mastitis present I would start using it ;)
If you don't want to milk her as a dairy animal then you could probably get away with just easing the udder out. But I would feel happier knowing it was fully emptied if she were mine :goat:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 06:42:43 pm »
I do intend to take milk for home use. Previous owner recommended not taking too much, if any, to allow kids maximum food. Currently freezing the little I have as got some lambs due which may need it

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013, 12:00:27 pm »
I had this problem with my nanny last year I didn't have the time to milk her day an night. So I rang the vet they gave me an injection for the one test I had to strip her out and inject her then the kids started to use the disgarded teat

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013, 10:01:07 pm »
It took me about a week of moving one dozy little boy to the other side before he got the idea that he'd get more to eat if he took his own side instead of competing with his brother. It worked in the end  :goat:

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 07:21:29 pm »
I have an AN with a single kid, she will only let him feed from one side, She kicks him away from the other one every time
I strip the other side every morning and evening getting about a pint and a half each time, not bad to say she had no udder at all when she kidded
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS