Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Collapsed Chicken Runs  (Read 4991 times)

steve_pr

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire Borders
Collapsed Chicken Runs
« on: February 11, 2013, 09:28:58 am »
Just thought I would share this sorry sight with one and all!  Following the heavy snow down here in West Wales last month our two very fancy (less than 12 months old and darn expensive) collapsed completely under the weight of snow.  There was no cover on them - this was just snow overnight on the chicken mesh!

The pic is the smaller one (duck and chickens) which is 6*8m long - the larger one (6*10m long is in even worse shape!). I originally thought the joints had gone but no, it is the galvanised tubes that simply buckled.  I guess the forces at work on the 6m span are simply too great for the wall thickness, compared with the 4m span versions.  Don't give me grief about the rusty galvanised wire - the supplier did accept that was a faulty batch and replaced it - I just never got round to recovering them (which is a huge job given their size).  No at least that's one job I won't have to do! 

We are sitting here deliberating on what to do - Probably move to a slightly flatter site and rebuild with what I can salvage.

Anyone else had problems with buildings collapse over the recent bad weather?

Steve & Jan
Marchgwyn

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Collapsed Chicken Runs
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 09:41:22 am »
Will your house insurance cover it Steve? I had to sweep ours three times one day but that's difficult with mesh. Can you add centre supports with bits of timber clamped in place perhaps?

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 09:50:53 am »
Hi
I can totally sympathise with you, we had exactly the same frame as shown in you pics even looks the same size. It was quite a challenge to erect and tieing on mesh. One week later, last march the snow fell and we had the same scenario.
So we salvaged what we could, rebuild with only one pole instead of having join on the slant. It is much smaller, but stronger and coped with recent snow although we did try to remove most with a brush.

It's absolutely soul destroying

Mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 08:49:01 pm »
It looks like lots of hard work to build originally. Must be devastating. I so feel for you and hope you manage to sort something soon.

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 12:30:17 pm »
So feel for you. We toohave this run but smaller and it it was a right b***r to put the mesh on, and with in the week the pony had decided to scratch his bum and left a massiv dent :horse:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 12:59:43 pm »
Sorry to hear about your Chicken run. Expensive and a lot of work for you to sort out.
Just yesterday we stripped our elderley neighbours chicken run of the mesh wire. It had not been used for 20 years and the wire was tacked onto a wooden frame with nails. Wood and frame was rotten but the chicken mesh wire is as new - it costs an arm and leg in France so we stripped the lot. Plan is to use the mesh and pallet wood to make more rabbit houses for zero cost.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 12:36:35 pm »
Mesh does cost a lot here MAK, but the quality is far better. I bought 8 rolls over of the best stuff I could get at £48 a roll (I haggled) and wasn't impressed. Spent time knocking the snow off the chicken enclosure as i was worried the stuff would break. Next time I will get the French and pay the extra (double).

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 03:45:43 pm »
Yes - don't even think of buying wire garden fence here. Snow ? What today Chris? I have been cutting wood in shirt sleeves today! :sunshine:
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 04:45:10 pm »
Is there anything about how to deal with it in snow in the instructions?  If not I would suggest it is 'not fit for purpose' and thus you are entitled to your money back. (you can hardly take a poutry run down in winter!)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 07:14:13 pm »
That's the root cause of the problems in England Backinwellies. No-one stands back and says it is common sense even though the instructions don't mention it. The claim culture of America has invaded. And essentially that's why it is so much cheaper to live in France.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 08:05:51 am »
Sorry Chris I totally disagree in this case ...... a chicken run is designed to be outside in all weathers and either it stands up to those weathers or it can be easily cleared from snow .... neither of which this does.   It is not a blame culture to expect something to do what it is supposed to do.   
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 01:21:04 pm »
From my experience - everything breaks - doesnt matter what quality or the price you pay - everything breaks - nothing stands up to the weather here - nothing ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS