Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just how much trouble ARE cade lambs?  (Read 12069 times)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Just how much trouble ARE cade lambs?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 07:40:34 pm »
No one has mentioned that cade lambs can bring disease in to your flock,if you don't know their history,  enzootic abortion / jaagsiekte / maedi-visna

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 09:16:54 pm »
I reared up 6 orphan lambs from a few days old last year, only one didnt grow very well due to a problem in his throught.

I thought as calves in dairys are usually out straight onto once or twice per day feeding, then I can cut lambs down aswel.

They went straight onto 4 times per day, after a week 3 times per day, then twice then they were fully weaned at 25 days old, they had creep feed from day one plus hay, barley straw and grazing.
I fed them ewe and lamb course mix from 25 days old twice per day, then at around 2 months they had just grazing.
They all went off in october to slaughter apart from the one who didnt grow and the one I kept
They were all lleyn cross texels apart from one mule cross texel whom I kept (and named ben :) and is now due to lamb to a charolais lamb end of march.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 10:40:16 pm »
Not round here. Farmers wife feeds the cade lambs which are often one of three. Brought on right, ready for market in July they go for £60/ £70. Thinking of doing a few to sell myself next year.

Exactly and they cost you at least £40/head to rear (no concs after creep) before you've even factored in your time!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2013, 02:07:04 am »
I retire in September so will have time on my hands. I enjoy rearing the lambs. Used to have a small flock years ago but the vet made more out of them than I did.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS