Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Orf treatments  (Read 8164 times)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Orf treatments
« on: February 25, 2013, 09:55:22 pm »
What does everyone use to treat orf in lambs? Ours have gone down with it in varying degrees of severity. Currently given them Orfoid capsules and applying orf paste but at £12 a pot and going through a pot in approx 4 days it's expensive! Does anyone use purple spray or anything else- spray or cream, or is the orf paste worth the money?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Orf treatments
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 12:20:49 am »
This is discussed regularly.  I collated some useful links here
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 03:44:08 pm »
Orf is a virus that will run its course in a couple of weeks. The key is to prevent secondary infection of the lesions. Purple spray will help - we usually use bactokill. It must sting like hell, but it seems to work!

If feel the need to do something more positive and want to out cream on it (wearing gloves as it is transmissible to humans) sudocreme is really good.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 06:18:41 pm »
Thanks. Still treating with cream, and orphoids (I think thats what they are called). Was fun giving the 5 week old batch of lambs orphoids earlier, their teeth are sharp!  :-[  (luckily had gloves on though, no holes in them after close inspection).
Feel sorry for the poor mite who we think introduced it, he is worse than all of the others put together. His scabs are coming off and he's looking a bit bald, even on his ears :( but he's drinking really well so should be ok...

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 07:13:19 pm »
Watch out for it affecting the ewes' teats.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 08:28:34 pm »
Using a small piece of hose pipe or similar to get tablets/pills in to lambs and ewes works well and saves your fingers. Just place one end of the pipe/hose in the animals mouth and add the pill down the hole in the pipe straight in to the mouth.  An old sheep farmer told me this years ago after I had to administer orf meds to a ewe.  He also advised that a sheep is quite able to bite your finger clean off if you get your finger caught between their teeth  :o

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 08:40:21 pm »
They are called Ovaloids - and there is an applicator specifically for putting them in the right place.

For around £8 could save your fingers.

www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 09:21:01 pm »
Never thought of the pipe... will find a bit for when we give them the second dose next week, thanks very much for that tip!

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
  • www.cinderhilllfarm.com
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 01:07:30 pm »
All three of our goats got Orf, one quite badly.  Sudocrem did a grand job, reasonably quickly.
I shall be using it again if the need arises.
www.cinderhillfarm.com

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

MKay

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 12:01:25 pm »
Forget all the fancy meds and creams that the manufacturers WANT you to buy, its a virus like a cold. good hygine to reduce chance of cross contamination is all you need.

Twice a day rub there little noses with a sponge covered in neat Hibiscrub (its what surgeons scrub up with) its £7 for 500ml and will last you ages. you will reduce the inflamation, risk of infection and risk of pasing it on.

Hibiscrub should be in every small holders box, you can use it on almost any wound, skin condition, teats and udders and you can use it on yourself before any assited births and on them after. good for umbilicals aswell, especialy if you have any ewes/cows who take issue with iodene(excessive licking to remove the smell causing haemoraging)

Plus next year you can vaccinate them first, save yourself the hassle

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 12:07:23 pm »
I use Hibiscrub for sheep foot problems too - it is very good stuff, although I was advised by my vet not to use neat as this can actually irritate skin rather than help some conditions.   It is excellent stuff though - I always have a bottle of it handy and it certainly does last for ages.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS