Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: registration  (Read 4003 times)

james130693

• Joined Jun 2009
registration
« on: June 30, 2009, 04:20:27 pm »
hi new here i was wondering if anyone could tell me what i need to do to make the land that i own into a small holding? Also i was wondering what i need to register a animal because it seems like there is a lot of paper work involved.
thanks james

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: registration
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 06:43:51 pm »
I have recently done this and I call the Rural Payments Agency first for a CPH (County Parish Holding) number.  0845 603 7777.

Once I had that I called our local Defra office, Animal Health dept and they gave me my numbers for pigs, chickens and sheep.  I presume it is similar for cattle.

I'm sure someone with more experience will be able to help further.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 08:47:12 pm »
CPH and herd number are teh same but all cattle rquire individual passports, so movement arrangements are different.

Animal Health will be able to advise.

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 09:40:33 pm »
your CPH number willbe made up of 3 different sets of numbers.eg............12/345/6789............your herd number will be a uk number...eg........UK098765 wich would be your ongoing herd number followed by an individual animal number  ;D

both these numbers...the herd and the individual one will be printed on the tags that comewith the animal, these should be checked with the passport to make sure they correspond  :)
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

james130693

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 07:32:54 pm »
thanks for the info but wondering when you have bought your cattle do you change the passport number to your herd and animal identification number or do you leave them as it is
thanks james

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 09:55:10 pm »
leave them as they are  ;)
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 12:36:01 am »
When granted, your CPH number identifies your holding and is used to trace any animal that leaves your holding back to you via movement licences, cattle passports etc. Ear Tags carry your herd/flock number and the UK prefix that has been assigned to your particular holding. If you have pigs you will be issued with an additional identification number which identifies pigs born/raised on your holding; these are applied to the animal via ear tags, tattoos or slap markers and must be entered on movement licences etc.

Its not difficult to obtain a CPH or cattle/flock or pig numbers, but you will be subjected to Trading Standards inspections and MUST keep and maintain records of animal movements and the administration of medication to any animal - before taking the final plunge I advise you to log on to the DEFRA website and read, read, read! Additional information can also be found on the Business Link website (rural section).

Don't be put off by the paperwork or terminology...its well worth the effort...and TAS is full of people who will be only too willing to offer help/advice when its needed...good luck!

Regards, Farmer
 :farmer:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 06:51:16 pm »
and remember you must have the numbers first. it really is not worth the moaning you would get from the animal health  chappy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS