Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Afterbirth  (Read 9641 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Afterbirth
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 11:25:32 am »
BH culls anyone that's prolapsed, end of.

However on the moorland farm we kept records and had no repeat offenders.  Not one.  No special treatment, just recorded ear tag numbers of ewes who prolapsed and never had a duplicate.   (BH still culls 'em - the cull ewes is one of the income streams, and that's the harsh reality  :( of farming as a business.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 05:51:16 pm »
The ewe that prolapsed only did so after a heavy handed friend tried to deliver lambs for me as I couldn't get them out. Did so much damage she kept contracting and prolapsed. Vet put back but kept coming out so stitched it but hadn't cleansed and the rest is history. When I called vet again as I was concerned he told me it was too tight so I had her put down.

Thankfully haven't had any more like that.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 08:13:17 pm »
It probably isn't the very best thing to do, but when I have been on my own and HAD to help a ewe out I raise the back end up onto a bale. YOu have to be reasonably swift as this put pressure on the diaphragm BUT gravity gets those lambs back inside the uterus quickly. I find it far easier to untangle lambs this way. Last year I had to lamb a friends Poll Dorset who had presented me with 6 legs and no heads :o
Up on a bale was the only way I could get that tangle sorted ::)  The live lamb and mum were fine the one presented as 4 legs had been dead a whiles (days) but at least he came out :-\
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 10:08:17 pm »

However on the moorland farm we kept records and had no repeat offenders.  Not one.  No special treatment, just recorded ear tag numbers of ewes who prolapsed and never had a duplicate.   (BH still culls 'em - the cull ewes is one of the income streams, and that's the harsh reality  :( of farming as a business.)

I dont think of it as being particularly harsh - its a positive thing "who shall I keep?" as opposed to "who shall I get rid of?". For every ewe you cull for whatever offence, there is a ewe lamb from better genetics to replace her.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 01:31:32 am »

I should clarify, the types of prolapses that seemed to not repeat were pre-lambing; the kind you shrink with sugar and hold back with a spoon or harness.

I would cull any ewes prolapsing post-lambing.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 10:50:44 am »
Me too.  I once saw a ewe with a ventral abdominal hernia trailing around a Welsh hillside - not on my watch!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 06:32:34 pm »
After another call to a different vet I managed to gently pull out the placenta and it stank. He was quite specific about how much pressure to use and assured me I couldn't harm the ewe as she would deal with whatever was left if it broke off. Supposedly only horses die of retained placenta.

At least she can go out now.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 07:16:26 pm »
 :thumbsup: another sheep problem overcome . Interestingly i looked into pulling a retained placenta causing a prolapse and the only mention i found was that it may possibly happen in a mare

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 07:24:44 pm »
following an abortion and a retained placenta  the vets advise was to give  a hormone inj it wasn't oxytocin but another and to gently pull the placenta I was able to remove a large percentage of it with a gentle slow pressure. It was likenend to the same kind of tension that the water bag gives to help remove a placenta naturally. Happy to the say the ewe was fine.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 10:16:28 am »
We always give antibiotics to ewes trailing their placenta overlong. 

Clearly a little pressure doesn't cause problems as most of them do it to themselves, tripping over it or getting it caught on something! 

Nonetheless we always get the vet, and to cows too, if it doesn't come away.  Next time I'm going to ask the vet whether it would be safe to have a try ourselves before calling them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS