Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Countryfile last night  (Read 3036 times)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Countryfile last night
« on: February 25, 2013, 10:10:39 am »
Shocked to learn that Melton Mowbray pork pies contain 70% imported meat ::) >:(  Don't they have a special status?
No apparent checks done on provenance of meat, all a matter of trust in their suppliers according to their MD ??? ::)  Who's he trying to kid!? :rant:
Certainly won't be buying any more in this house.
Poor sows in those stalls, you could see it in their eyes, made me want to cry and go and release them all. :'( :(
Mandy :pig:

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
Re: Countryfile last night
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 10:16:47 am »
That was the mass produced ones, if you go into melton itself and find the Ye olde pork pie shop where they make there own pies on the premises i would imagine there meat is local or at least British.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 10:24:04 am »
 :o 
Shocked to learn that Melton Mowbray pork pies contain 70% imported meat ::) :(" src="http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/Smileys/default/angry.gif">  Don't they have a special status?
One of my most memorable meetings/trainming events was held in Melton Mowbray on a farm that produced cheese and we had those wonderful pies and stilton etc, I am sure they used thier own meat for the pies, otherwise, what a con ::) , getting fed up with being conned, who should we believe?

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 10:31:43 am »
I thought it was disgusting, I had a massive rant on facebook last night about it all. The EU just does what it pleases and the UK government just sits there and takes it!!! It was the same with the battery hens, we shouldn't have had to issue court orders they should have complied from day one.. That's the trouble with the UK farmers the EU issues these changes and our farmers comply before any deadlines but the EU farmers just do what they like.

Its about time the British people got off there backsides and did something about it, when we had issues with BSE the french blocked the ports! what do we do with any meat scandals? Just be terribly British and do absolutely bugger all!

Its time for the UK to get back to the butchers and buy meat that they know where it comes from instead of these greedy conglomerates.. I had someone argue with me last night that they couldn't afford to go to the butchers to buy meat as they had 2 kids and another one on the way .. my response if you cant afford to feed your kids safe healthy food don't breed!

( I know things are tight and i have been there but if  I Couldn't afford meat that I knew was not full of crap I wouldn't buy it fullstop)!
But unless people make a stand nothing will ever change. Its no wonder our farmers struggle up against people who don't give a damn about what is in our meat or even what meat it is they are supplying, they do it cheap as chips and no care given for the welfare of the animals).. makes my blood boil  >:(

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 10:33:48 am »
Shocked to learn that Melton Mowbray pork pies contain 70% imported meat ::) >:(  Don't they have a special status?
No apparent checks done on provenance of meat, all a matter of trust in their suppliers according to their MD ??? ::)  Who's he trying to kid!? :rant:
Certainly won't be buying any more in this house.
Poor sows in those stalls, you could see it in their eyes, made me want to cry and go and release them all. :'( :(
Mandy :pig:

I noticed it was called vale of Mowbray , presumably the weasel words takes it outside the restrictions of the protected status and they can dump whatever cruelly reared sh£& they want into it.

I was just waiting for the chap to say that he would buy British but couldn't source the volume when I would have smashed the tv - wonder why there isn't the volume mate...something to do with buying it cheaper from dodgy practice overseas producers methinks.....:-(

deepinthewoods

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 10:59:40 am »
it br0oke my heart seeing them sows. i knew thats what happened and had seen it before, but my daughter hadnt. now she knows why dads fussy.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 11:18:21 am »
I hate to say it, but...

Do not assume that meat you buy in your local butcher's is local or even British.  Even if the butcher has signs up saying that he buys local, even if his chalkboard says that This Week's Lamb is from <farm name>.

For each meat that you buy you need to ask the question. 

Our local butcher, who buys his lamb from us when we have some and tries his darndest to source local native breed beef, buys in local pork and homecures his own bacon.  All well and good  :thumbsup:.  But, as well as his homecured bacon, which is locally-produced pork, he also finds he has to sell a regular bacon, cheaper than the homecured.  Guess where he has to buy this.  He hates having to do it, but the fact is, he cannot find a regular supply of vac-packed bacon from within Britain of a quality he demands at a price his customers are prepared to pay. :( 

If you ask the question directly, you will be told the truth, but he doesn't advertise the fact that the cheaper (but still excellent) bacon which is not homecured is not British either.

I and other equally careful customers only buy the homecure, but the majority buy the other sort regularly and the homecure as a treat.  Both are excellent, but the homecure is very special  :yum:

I don't think they come much more genuinely passionate about local meat supply than this butcher, so if he finds he has to source some of his bacon from the continent, I think you have to assume that many other butchers are having to do similar.

The moral is - always ask, even in your local butcher's.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 08:56:24 pm »
The butcher we use to do our pigs & lambs is very good, but we're spoiled here in the Borders. Many of the butchers can damn near tell you the animal's name! But I agree, Sally, you do have to ask them. We've seen quite a boost to our meat sales as a result of horseburgergate: long may it continue!

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 08:59:02 pm »
Happy go Lucky, after all this time I have realised that you can only believe in yourself

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS