Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gound  (Read 1871 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Gound
« on: February 21, 2013, 12:34:33 pm »
My veg plot is still too wet to work in so I am going to start plants off in the tunnel. Can the likes of beetroot, carrots , onions been done this way ?

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Re: Gound
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 12:44:05 pm »
I dont think carrots like to be moving once planted so I'm not sure how well they would do, I think beetroot and onions are the same

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 01:02:45 pm »
You could plant them in those fibre pots and then transfer those.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 06:20:38 pm »
Good idea.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 12:09:04 am »
Onions would be fine in root trainers and getting them off to an early start certainly pays off.  I often start beetroot in modules - 2-3 seeds per mod, but they mustn't stay in them so long that they run out of nutrients or they will run to seed.  You can have up to 4 growing in the one module, plant them out like that but with each group further apart than individual plants would be spaced - the beets still grow perfectly well squashed up like that.  Carrots don't like to be transplanted so they are best sown and grown in a larger container for an early crop - I use empty licky buckets with a few holes drilled in the bottom, filled with good friable soil.  They are easy to protect from carrot root fly in containers too.  If you are contemplating parsnips then wait until your outside soil is ready as they really don't like to be transplanted.
Salad greens can be grown in licky buckets too, then replace them with dwarf french beans later if the soil is still wet, as the added height keeps them off the ground.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 12:24:46 am »
We didn't move in until mid-May last year so nothing was planted until very late May/early June. I used both beetroot and onions plugs but grew the carrots from seed. The beetroot were fine - in fact great - but the onions were rubbish so I'm going with sets every time from now on (I've never grown onions from seed but my mother, my guru, always goes with sets instead, even if they're spring planted). It's very early to be worrying about growing beetroot and carrots anyway - it's no problem to wait until the ground is warmer and drier and plant seeds then (April onwards probably).

H

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS