Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: really stupid question  (Read 2309 times)

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
really stupid question
« on: February 25, 2013, 10:45:02 pm »
Ok folks my stupid question of the year is.....
on market (auction reports) is a calf breed report the price that was paid for each calf of that particular breed??? ie  in this report ayrshire bull calves went for £19?? etc... told you it was a stupid question  ??? :innocent:  is that the full price or price per kg? (or am i over complicating things?)
[size=-1]Bulls[/size][/t][/t]
[/t]
[size=-1]Qty[/size]
[size=-1]Ave[/size]
[size=-1]Min[/size]
[size=-1]Max[/size]
[size=-1]Vendor of Max         Price Lot[/size]
[size=-1]FRIESIAN[/size][size=-1]21[/size][size=-1]36[/size][size=-1]11[/size][size=-1]125[/size]
[size=-1]AYRSHIRE[/size][size=-1]1[/size][size=-1]19[/size][size=-1]19[/size][size=-1]19[/size]
[size=-1]HEREFORD[/size][size=-1]6[/size][size=-1]205[/size][size=-1]160[/size][size=-1]262[/size]
[size=-1]ABERDEEN ANGUS[/size][size=-1]1[/size][size=-1]80[/size][size=-1]80[/size][size=-1]80[/size]
[size=-1]Heifers[/size][/t][/t]
[/t]
[size=-1]Qty[/size]
[size=-1]Ave[/size]
[size=-1]Min[/size]
[size=-1]Max[/size]
[size=-1]Vendor of Max         Price Lot[/size]
[size=-1]HEREFORD[/size][size=-1]2[/size][size=-1]128[/size][size=-1]118[/size][size=-1]138[/size]
[size=-1]LIMOUSIN[/size][size=-1]1[/size][size=-1]70[/size][size=-1]70[/size][size=-1]70[/size]
[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: really stupid question
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 12:07:48 am »
I can't read the table, it's all just formatting.  (Tip: use the Preview button befoe posting your message.)

However, yes, very young Ayrshire bull calves probably do fetch £19 each.  I saw six Jersey bull calves average £11 per head at Carlisle one Wednesday.  Ayrshires usually fetch tenners.  A friend bought 5 Jersey bull calves, at Darlington I think it was, for £10 the lot. 

Beefy types fetch anything from £170 to £450 at the moment at Carlisle.  Top dollar for British Blue or Limousin bull calves.  Beef breed heifer calves sell reasonably well as potential suckler cows.

Black-and-white bull calves are variable.  Sometimes they fetch up to £100, sometimes only around £30.  I'm not sure why the variation.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

littlelugs

• Joined Aug 2011
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 08:18:31 am »
ahh damn forgot to preview the post (it was late and my brain is mush at the best of times) thanks for the advice though. I always look at the maket reports in our area out of curiosity more than anything else and it helps to know im getting the info right instead of terribly wrong!
thanks again

Paul Sill

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 09:46:58 pm »
The variation in the price for black and whites is because they vary so much, if you have a more holstein type calf it will not be as meaty as a friesian calf but it can all depend on the type of cows in the herd, bulls that where used.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 09:15:33 am »
There's more to it than that, Paul Sill.  It's not just the price range across all the calves in one week, which is due to the factors you list, but some weeks at Carlisle even the very best good framey B&Ws don't go over £50, then another they'll be into the low £00s.  There are probably seasonal and market factors I am unaware of, since we're not in the dairy or veal business. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS