Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Noisy Duck - Please Help!  (Read 3988 times)

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
Noisy Duck - Please Help!
« on: February 16, 2013, 12:40:18 pm »
 Our son's female mallard is driving me mad & I'm sure the neighbours are sick of her - Last night was the last straw...  Over the last few months she has been increasingly noisy but for the last week or two she is calling nearly all night, every night.
 She has a lovely male with her, we also have other ducks including an appleyard female that seems to compete for attention at night  :tired:  They have a good size land area, 2 sheds & a couple of hutches & a 40ft pond.... What more can I do with her?
 We can't eat her as our son is only 5 & he has called her 'Daphne'  ::)  But she also raises her own ducklings every year & is a brilliant mum - It's just that the recent noise levels are a new thing..  :(
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Noisy Duck - Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 03:15:12 pm »
Could something be scaring her, maybe a fox or badger going about which she can sense.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 11:52:44 am »
Some ducks are noisier than others and I must admit that I love the noise  ::) ! Could you move the night quarters so you don't hear her that much at night? Trouble is that ducks sleep in the day and are awake at night...my neighbour asked me once if there was something wrong with them - she doesn't have double glazing - but that must have been a particularly noisy night. :&>

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 07:00:54 pm »
This time of year wild ducks are starting to choose their nesting sites so she may be hearing them, or possibly geese beginning to fly north?

fairhaven

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Norfolk
    • The Hazy Rainbow
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 07:54:08 pm »
We do have a few geese flying over at the moment - and living right on the back of the broads we also have some other waterfowl in the area, We have moved her & her male onto the field with the chickens for now, just to keep the neighbour happy,  but I miss seeing the mallards on the pond... Maybe she will still raise some ducklings even though they are in with the chickens now?    :fc:
Sheep: North Ronaldsay & 4 Horned Hebridean - We also breed & exhibit 3 breeds of rabbit - Chinchilla, Deilenaar (rare breed) & Colour Pointed English Angora.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS