Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turning a Vehicle into a Coop?  (Read 5382 times)

the great composto

Re: Turning a Vehicle into a Coop?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 11:27:04 am »
Edessex - i can see this thread is about bending the rules a bit rather than selling the landrover and buying a coop - sounds like your complainer is getting to you.

I bet there is a proper definition of movable animal house somewhere that would allow you to be more specific but I bet it includes wheels or handles - these could be easily attached to your shed - that way there is no 'technically it can be moved by 4 people'  - after all a brick house can technically be moved by 1 person a brick at a time.

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Nr. Stansted Airport, Essex/Herts
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 12:03:44 pm »
The complainer has irritated me, but the Landy is not staying to irritate him.  For now I want to hold onto the Landy, until I am in a position (and have a suitable place) to put it back on the road.  With the nature of the vehicle, and the way it is built, using it as a chicken coop will not damage it.  It can be jetwashed out during use as well.  As for the condensation problem, I think I can resolve that by ply-lining, or using that foil-bubble-wrap insulation stuff.

I would like to erect the shed as a coop in addition to the Landy, but I could do without the hassle and expense of a planning application, especially as the land is not residential.

For now, the Landy Coop idea looks positive.  The shed might actually require more effort! 
A legal definition of an accepted animal house would be great, but so far I have not found one.

the great composto

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 12:27:09 pm »
I actually like the idea of the landy as a chicken coop - conjures up an image of what would have happened anyway in the past.   Somewhere i have an old picture of a Moggy traveller car used as a makeshift henhouse.

its not this one but this is fun anyway.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/coops/images/car-chicken-coop.jpg

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 09:49:41 am »
We bought a cheap 5 x 7 shed on eBay and set the bottom bearers on two lengths of 4" x 2" which stick out the front and back by about 40cm - the front edges are shaped like toboggan runners to reduce drag.  Creosoted everything before assembly.  Put a of big eye bolt through each of them and can drag it around the field in either direction, either by hand with 2 people or a chain and the 4x4.  It houses one of our breeding groups of Narragansett turkeys in the field in Summer and gets dragged up into the old cattle yard for the current year's growers to live in over Winter, while the turkeys go in an old stable.

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Nr. Stansted Airport, Essex/Herts
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 06:12:40 pm »
I like that idea... I have to rebuild the floor of that shed anyway, so it won't be hard to build it on a couple of heavy runners!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS