Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Edible Hedgerow  (Read 5209 times)

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Edible Hedgerow
« on: January 14, 2013, 12:19:06 pm »
I want to plant an edible hedgrow - has anyone done this before and any top tips?
It my first time working with fruit bushes and I was thinking I could take cuttings from some well established blackberry and raspberry bushes so when is the best time to do this? how? and any top tips please!
thanks  ;)

Red

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Edible Hedgerow
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 02:15:53 pm »
To propagate blackberries, just pin some tips down and they will root - but they are difficult to maintain in a hedgerow as they tend to form impenetrable thickets.
Rasps will put up new shoots themselves - just dig up the roots.  Again though they tend to turn into ever-spreading forests which take over everything.

We have hedgerows where we allow some small trees to grow and provide fruit.  These include Mirabelles ( a tiny plum on a strong small tree), crab apples, rowanberries (for wine and jellies), but mostly the fruit is for the birds, or to be mixed together for hedgerow jelly.  We do have some blackcurrants in one length of hedge, but ultimately they will make a gap, as they are short-lived.  The same goes for elder which crowds out the opposition then dies young, leaving a gap.

You could though make a hedge which was never intended to be an actual hedgerow, but is just a line of fruit bushes and canes, with the occasional tree, and with wild strawbs underneath.  You can grow wild strawbs from seed, then in subsequent years transplant the runners - they love a bit of shade, unlike cultivated strawbs and taste wonderful.  Gooseberries and redcurrants can be propagated like blackberries by pinning down the tips until they form roots
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 12:33:33 am »
Maybe not what you're looking for but we've got Blackthorn (sloes) and Elder in our hedgerow which are 'normal' hedges but great for harvesting too. I'm in the process of planting a lilac hedge and you can also use lilac flowers (apparently - I gather you can make lilac equivalents for elderflower which give you a pleasantly violet coloured drink). Or cobnuts if you're prepared to fight the squirrels for them. Just depends how you want the hedge to look too - how tall does it need to be? How are you going to maintain it?

Just have a play and if things get crowded out, you'll know for next time!

H

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 09:33:50 am »
I have no tips for you Red, but I think your idea is a brilliant one and I feel the need to pinch it and have a go myself.  I have approx 7m stretch I need to fill and a fruit hedge would be lovely.  I already have sloes, elder and what I think is a mirabelle (FW - do these look a bit like a pinkish red version and the size of a cherry tomato when they fruit?) and we have an orchard of apples, plums and damsons but I would like to try something different too.  Was planning to plant a soft fruit plot this year but may try your idea instead as the plot I had earmarked is STILL covered in rubble! ::)
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 09:46:45 am »
We've started planting some edible hedges this year so no real advice to give as I don't know how they'll turn out! I bought in some bare rootstock hazel, sloe and wild roses to which we added some cherry plum and crab apple saplings that had self seeded in the overgrown orchard.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 01:02:57 pm »
Luckylady - yes that sounds like a mirabelle - check the stone is like a small plum stone, not pips like an apple ie crab apple as they can look similar.

Be careful of blackthorn as it's horrible stuff.  Scratches take forever to heal (a year  :o ), it grows into a huge impenetrable thicket and it's not good for livestock if they get at it.  I love the early blossom but I would rather see it in someone else's hedge than my own  :eyelashes: :tree:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 09:06:07 pm »
Hawthorn is another option but not suitable for animals.  One of the goats had an absess on her face last year and the vet reckoned it was probably caused by the hawthorn I had fed them.  Apparently hawthorn and sloe thorns grow a fungus which can cause infection if a thorn penetrates the skin. He knew this because he had experienced it himself.

denmylne

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 12:33:06 pm »

consider planting pear trees, rootstock costs very little, if you graft your own then large numbers of fruit trees can be produced

http://denmylne.wordpress.com/about/

red and black currents and gooseberries, source someone with good quality bushes, (newer types are resistent to leaf mold) and ask to help pruning, cuttings can be brought on in pots with rooting powder.
this is a good way of generating large numbers of plants.

highstwest

• Joined Jun 2008
  • Plusquellec Brittany . nr Callac . 22160
    • highstwest
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 10:42:22 am »
Hi , I too have been giving this  thought for this year . I have various beech , elder , blackthorn already in my hedgerows . I have bought , with the intention of growing & interspersing with the established growth some White Mulberry seeds & some Sea Buckthorn . I guess from seed it will take a year or 2 before they will be planted out . But , the Sea Buckthorn looked very interesting & the Mulberry would eventually give some good height & possible shade , should it ever stop raining in Brittany !!   
I can make the earth move for you

denmylne

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 05:57:49 pm »
you can graft pear scions onto black and white thorn

i have 2 french pears

longueville and cuisse madam.........both now extinct in france if you want to try grafting some scions

pm me

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 04:24:45 pm »
Woodland Trust recommend a Wild Harvest blend including Hazel, blackthorn, crab apple, elder and dog rose.

http://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/en/moretreesmoregood/free-trees/Pages/free-tree-packs.aspx

Sadly I don't qualify for a free pack but I looked up the blends out of interest as I'm planning some planting at some stage..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS