Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Horrific Attack on a Horse Edinburgh Area  (Read 2890 times)

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
Horrific Attack on a Horse Edinburgh Area
« on: March 26, 2013, 10:37:32 pm »

Horse found badly mutilated
 26 Mar 2013 Hrafn height=170 The Scottish SPCA is appealing for information after a horse was found badly mutilated at a livery yard in Edinburgh.
We are working with police after the 23 year old Icelandic gelding, named Hrafn (pronounced Frap), was discovered bleeding heavily in his field at Swanston Livery Yard on Thursday (21 March).
Hrafn's penis had been cut and was hanging on by the urethra. He required emergency surgery to remove his penis and is continuing to recover under veterinary supervision.
Senior Inspector John Toule said, "The vet advised that Hrafn sustained a clean cut with a sharp metal instrument.
"They have also said that this appears to have been a malicious attack.
"Hrafn was found by his owner on Thursday morning. She had last visited him on Wednesday evening, therefore we believe the incident occurred either late on Wednesday night or in the early hours of Thursday morning.
"Hrafn had lost a lot of blood and, although he was still standing, was very weak.
"It is difficult to comprehend why anyone would do this to a defenceless animal and this attack is extremely concerning.
"Causing an animal unnecessary suffering is an offence and anyone found  guilty of doing so can expect to be banned from owning animals for a  fixed period or life.
"We are urging horse owners in the area to be on guard and report any suspicious activity.
"Anyone with information on this sickening incident should contact us or the police as soon as possible."
Hrafn's owner, who wishes to remain anonymous, said, "This was a cowardly and cruel act.
"Thankfully, Hrafn is recovering well but he is clearly traumatised.
"He is such a gentle and quiet older horse and it is hard to understand how anyone could put an animal through this sort of pain."
A police spokesman said, "We are working closely with the Scottish SPCA as part of our investigation into this incident, and we are appealing to anyone who has any information that can assist our enquiries to contact police as a matter of urgency.
"Anyone who was in the area of Swanston Road close to the livery yard on Wednesday night into Thursday morning last week, who noticed any suspicious activity, should contact police on 101."
Information can also be reported anonymously to our Animal Helpline on  03000 999 999  or through Crimestoppers on  0800 555 111 .

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Horrific Attack on a Horse Edinburgh Area
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 03:48:16 am »
What makes people do something like that? >:(
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 07:25:19 am »
That is so awful, poor thing  :'(  :bouquet: :bouquet:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 07:41:26 am »
I read that on my Facebook and it not only shocked me but made me feel sick, horrific act, someone MUST have seen something odd, for a start they will be covered in blood...

I hope they get caught, it must be more than one person surely?    I am not so sure being banned from keeping animals will make any difference to someone that sick, they will continue being cruel to other people's. :rant:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 07:47:52 am »
there was similar down here a while back, it might actually have been the same time of year. theres an associationb with black magic.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 08:55:56 am »
Some people are so sick! Quite a few years ago we had mares being cut internally down here on the South Coast, they never found anyone for it but one mare was very badly mutilated and took a very long time to recover.
My pony had his tail cut off close to his tail bone. They didn't hurt him but it freaked me out someone had been that close to him that they could of hurt him.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS