Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Not fit for purpose  (Read 1789 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Not fit for purpose
« on: February 17, 2013, 05:01:14 pm »
I decided to post this because of something backinwellies posted to Steve_pr, whose chicken run had collapsed because of the weight of snow.
BIW said
Is there anything about how to deal with it in snow in the instructions?  If not I would suggest it is 'not fit for purpose' and thus you are entitled to your money back. (you can hardly take a poutry run down in winter!)
unquote.
I don't believe that we complain enough when things go wrong as they did in Steve's case but I have 2 examples of where I did complain and got good results.
1. Going back a few years when cordless phones were still relatively new, the instructions said something like, leave the phone off the charger every so often so that it gets the chance to run down and then recharge fully. I thought it was a good idea to leave the phone off the charger while I went away for 2 weeks holiday. The phone would not recharge again when I returned. I complained and they said I had left the phone off of the charger for too long. Well if the instructions aren't explicit enough how are you supposed to know that? Result I got a new phone and they reprinted instruction leaflets to cover the issue.
2. I bought a car (Mercedes) that was only 5 months old. I had the car for a few months when the battery went completely flat and they told me it needed a new battery. The car was still under warranty but I was told that batteries aren't covered by the warranty because they only have a certain lifetime. I asked how long that lifetime is and no one could tell me. I kicked up a stink in the showroom saying that if they couldn't tell me how long it was supposed to last how could they know if it was outside the time period. Result they gave me a new battery free of charge but I think that was more because I was causing a fuss in front of their customers  :roflanim:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: Not fit for purpose
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 08:29:19 pm »
Our chicken run collapsed as well and we didnt complain, just tried to make the best of a bad job. However because my oh strengthen it when rebuilding it has coped with the snow this year.
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

scarlettoara

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 09:50:13 pm »
a few yrs back, in our area alot of cowsheds collapsed with the weight of the snow, cows got crushed too. most was covered on insurance but the next yr the insurance were stricter with maintenance requirements before the snow came.
our shed was very warped under the weight but stayed up  but we never lost a chicken coop. our first coops were expensive but 10 yrs later they are still going. the newer coops we bought we cheaper but all now broken. i never asked for refund as they were built by a council run project by people with disabilties, i didnt have the heart to tell them the coops were useless. (tho i spent the best part £700 on 5 coops)  :o

Derby_menagerie

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Derby
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 12:30:51 pm »
I'm not having a go or anything, but I go out with a broom and sweep the snow of all the coops and sheds etc, but I have a few that don't collect the snow because of the pitch of the roof, obviously these are more fit for purpose than the flatter topped ones, but are harder to clean out so swings and roundabouts!

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 05:26:15 pm »
I'm a little bit worried about this thread only focusing on the negative so i would like to add a positive.  I have had a broom that has lasted me 20 years I have only bought 5 new handles and 7 new heads but I would like to say it's fit for purpose and still as good as new

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 06:36:47 pm »
I'm a little bit worried about this thread only focusing on the negative so i would like to add a positive.  I have had a broom that has lasted me 20 years I have only bought 5 new handles and 7 new heads but I would like to say it's fit for purpose and still as good as new

Triggers broom - only fools and horses...
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 10:52:25 pm »
And still as good as it was then.   :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS