Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ex Battery Hens  (Read 2631 times)

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
Ex Battery Hens
« on: February 11, 2013, 11:03:27 pm »

Hi,  I got some Chickens, seven, from a Battery Hen Rescue in Dumfries (before the ban) and they have turned from scrawny featherless things to happy little chickens full of life and eggs I have more eggs than I know what to do with!

After many years of breeding Rare Breed Poultry for showing and selling (I gave it up due to work) I have found the simple pleasure of giving these chooks a second chance, if anyone else would like to get in touch and get some hens the website is listed below.

www.homes4hens.co.uk or on facebook under the same name  :chook:

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Re: Ex Battery Hens
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 07:22:48 am »
Thats great! My mother in law did the same, got a couple of ex battery hens and now has 10 and they look fab and have a great life as well as providing plenty of eggs! When we finally get some more room we will also be giving these poor birds a second chance for a better life.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 03:03:58 pm »
I've done that for years - from the British Hen Welfare Trust - very friendly girls usually, although my last lot were feisty - not caged hens, supposedly free range huh!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Mrs Snoodles

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 07:04:26 pm »
I love our exbatts. I breed pure posh Croads too but for character these ladies are just the business!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 08:01:35 pm »
 :wave:
We have pure breeds but daughter wanted some ex batts last year .... to rescue and give a good life.

They are fab  :thumbsup:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 09:29:47 am »
We have rehomed 60 plus over the last 6 years and some have been real characters ::) .  Life span does vary with each batch :'( but that is to be expected.  Generally they recover really well and it is very rewarding to see them happily scratching about in the  :sunshine: and enjoying life :excited: .
My last 15 were 'barn hens' and they all have deformed toes and walk with difficulty, but that didn't stop one getting in the dog's bed this morning.  And another sitting on a sheep's back  :o .

Go on, give them a chance :thumbsup:

minibn

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 07:23:51 pm »
Good Evening

I just had to comment on your post. Over the last 2 years i have had 25 hens from the British hen welfare Trust. I think there brill, they have such lovely characters. I have sadly lost quite a few to illness and the fox also took several. Even though this is the case, i am pleased i was able to offer them all a second chance of life. It is very rewarding seeing them all scrawny when they arrive them blossoming into beautiful birds. Mine always come running up to me when i go and see them.

Regards

Emily

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 05:40:13 pm »

That's great no one seems to have any downsides to these little champs, the lady who does it in Dumfries is independant from the BHWT but does a great job she has a rescue on Monday if anyone needs anymore! I have to mention some  of the batts eggs are off to Peeble Poultry Show tommorow with my Grandfather as his New Hampshires  Reds aren't laying!  :chook:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 09:10:42 am »
Its something we have considered since Mr Fox wiped out our flock in December. lovely to hear such positive feedback!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 09:34:09 am »
I have some from BHWT too, over a year since they arrived and the pleasure of seeing them feather up and become confident was worth every penny.  They also paid for themselves in eggs, though some of the eggs from one of them have come out soft shelled which I have heard from others is sometimes the case with rescue hens.    No regrets tho, I'd take more if I had space, which I currently don't, or needed more eggs, which again I don't until I get more customers :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 10:16:46 am »
Hi Ellie
got any free days next week, except Tuesday? (car exhaust being done), week after is busy for me - getting ready for  Crufts but OK after the 11th
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS