Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weeds  (Read 2994 times)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Weeds
« on: June 23, 2009, 07:50:09 pm »
I've got some lovely pasture land here full of all sorts including white and red clover. My dilemma is that the dreaded thistles and nettles are taking over along with the moles. Now the OH normally sorts the land so how can I drag around a back pack sprayer to spray the nasties as they are spreading and also get rid of the moles. The OH parked the tractor incidentally in a stupid place and I don't know how to drive it and if I did would I knock the wall of the building down  to get the blinking thing out to at least run the harrow over the mole hills.

Ours is a nice life ours is.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 07:51:52 pm by kaz »
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: Weeds
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 09:32:42 pm »
I don't know how big the thistles and nettles are but its probably too late now to spray to get rid of them completely as they will still set seed as they die back. Topping is probably the best bet for nowwith a spray of thistlex in the spring next year.

For topping here in northumberland we have a saying:

Cut in June - cut too soon, cut in July - cut to die
also with thistle arrange to cut just before a shower of rain. the rain will get into the stems and rot down to the root

If I was closer I would come and do some for you
Ian

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 10:22:01 pm »
If it's any consolation Kaz the wildlife will love you - nettles & thistles are good for beasties  ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 10:43:20 pm »
Get a donkey!  And why not pluck up courage and at least sit in the tractor for a  few minutes.  Next time you do that you might turn on the engine, then next time move the gears back and forward, if they have gears that is, then you can see if you can reach the brake pedal, then next time you might move it a little tiny bit then stop it with the brakes before it hits the wall Go on, have a go.  I couldn't drive John's ride on mower till after he died!  But if I didn't cut the grass once a week no-one else would.  It was hard to start with but WHAT a sense of achievement you get! ::) ::) ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 08:37:00 am »
Is there someone local that can get the tractor out for you and at least put it where you an drive it confidently? I remember my Ex telling me about his summer holidays digging out thistles on his dads farm, I think that was a job for young people wanting a bit of money, what about getting people to help for a bit of pocket money plus provide drink and a snack, a bi like the Landgirls used to do!!! Keep up the good work ;)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 09:24:29 am »
He put the tractor in an open shed that is half tumbling down the hill with the rear wheel resting on the wall. one false move and it will be down. Oh I forgot to tell you about the front loader and the fact that if i moved it to far It will be through the back cottage wall. So you can see my dilemma and to add to that it is all downhill.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

sandy

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 09:40:49 am »
 ??? Oh, I see your problem, see if someone can lend/lease you maybe a man and a tractor, I should imagine they do not come cheap so until you get some professional help I should leave well alone. I could not start my VW after parking in a picnic spot, the starter motor was jammed, common problem with old VW Campers, well we kept trying but that was downhill, good for a start but it got dangerously close to a busy main road junction so we got a mechanic out while we were still safe. Not too sure what can be done but maybe the tractor wheels could be taken off and it pulled out or dismantled safely, then of course re assembled, s ounds a bit too easy, I doubt if that will work. I am sure some one will have a good mechanical solution, wounder how hubby was going to get it out?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS