Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tips on wound healing  (Read 1865 times)

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
Tips on wound healing
« on: February 11, 2013, 07:44:59 pm »
Jimmy the Fell is now in from the hills and has a huge bite wound on his side. He's been seen by the vet who gave an antibiotic jab and said the flap of flesh that was hanging would fall off. Well it has and left a hole about 1.5" wide. Around the edge of the hole it is swollen and tender. The wound itself is clean now but was full of pus. Yuck and stinky. Unfortunately the wound is right where my leg will go when he is ridden so I won't be riding him for quite a while yet. I have been checking the wound frequently and cleaning it. Does anyone have any tips on keeping the swelling down and hopefully minimising any scarring?
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Tips on wound healing
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 08:52:12 pm »
See if the vet can give you (well sell you!) ointment made with manuka honey (it has other stuff in it too). When Liesel pony sliced her cheek open with a y shaped wound quite deep, after it was stitched the vet told me to use it. Honestly, 3 months later I could not tell you at all where the wound had been at all. Thoroughly recommend it.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 07:22:45 am »
Try manuka honey - it is excellent stuff for wounds.  It keeps infection away and heals wounds super quick.  It also stops proudflesh and helps hair grow back.  I always keep a pot in my first aid kit in readiness for any wounds - it is superb stuff.  It is quite expensive and the higher the factor, the better it will be at healing, but it does last a long time and is well worth the money.  Best place to buy will be somewhere like Holland & Barrett health food shop as you might be lucky to get an offer on it.   The only issue with it is that it can (obviously) be quite sticky!  :thumbsup:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 07:37:53 am »
the only reason I didnt suggest the (expensive but cheaper than ointment) straight manuka honey is that this wound unlike Liesels face one would be reachable by the horse and I cant imagine that they wouldnt lick the lot off :-DDD

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 01:15:28 pm »
Aloe Vera gel is very good as well, I wonder if you mixed manuka honey aloe vera and some lavender oil together how that would work - those are my fav healing products  ;D

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 01:57:19 pm »
I have used camarosa for wounds on my ponies and dogs. it works wonders. They have a web site if you google

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 03:06:23 pm »
Just ordered some Camrosa after looking on their website. I think Jimmy would definitely lick manuka honey straight off! It's a very reachable wound.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 06:51:51 pm »
Manuka tastes awfull! Really bitter.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS