Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cyberbullying - Help needed!  (Read 2863 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
cyberbullying - Help needed!
« on: June 19, 2009, 01:09:44 pm »
We are getting more and more malicious comments on our blog, all of course anonymous.
We cover mainly animals, plants and some local events and it started with attacks on certain people featured. It got worse after we took the post off.  Now we are getting about 20  slanderous allegations regarding local people each day, the most recent ones attacking us personally. It is at that point now where we are thinking of involving the police.
Is there a way of blocking comments, even if they are anonymous? Any help from experienced bloggers welcome! :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: cyberbullying - Help needed!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 01:29:42 pm »
Kerstin - I would phone the police and ask their advice. I'm sure they will be able to put you onto some one that can help.There are some sad people out there, sadly it is more than likely someone you know! Good Luck!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 01:58:45 pm »
I have suffered cyberbullying and telephone bullying from someone I used to consider a friend.  He had been egged on by his wife who for some reason had taken a dislike to me.  It was sorted out in our committee and he left, but I was advised that if it continued I should contact the police as they take a VERY dim view of this.  Go ahead and phone them now.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 02:03:59 pm »
Nothing done on the internet in anonymous, but if use a system such as TOR can be virtually untraceable. However, most people aren't that clever.

Does your blogging software record the IP address of the person who leaves the comment? If so, does it also have controls to ban certain users from leaving comments? Banning by IP is particularly effective as long as the person doesn't have more than average computer knowledge.

Another option would be to configure your blog so that all comments need to be moderated before appearing. Or require a user to create an account (which you moderate) before they can comment.

Try to resolve it by using the tools available to you if at all possible. The reality is that the Police won't be remotely interested as it's not something they have the training or resources to pursue unless there is a serious crime associated with the comments being made (by which I mean threats to a person's safety or life).

Good luck. Persistent scum with a little computer knowledge can be most annoying to get rid of.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 02:58:24 pm »
Thanks Cmorrell, that was very helpful advice! It's a google blog, which was set up by someone else originally. We have now adjusted some settings, so that comments are no longer public. The cowards might be put off if they can't read their own rubbish on-line anymore. Or they might get even more vicious and angry...We'll have a look at the IP settings.
Some anonymous followers have just joined recently through google friendsconnect using weird code (see below) - could they be virused or is that just googlefriendsconnect thing?
xpSsVsMCkNEPvoYoZH0dtAuSg5s.joMEhuY-

I feel quite ignorant at the moment, but regarding IT I am, lol. :&>

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 04:05:03 pm »
Those sounds like bots generating random "names" .. various purposes from harvesting emails to send spam or sending spam direct to the group etc.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 06:23:19 pm »
I would say try and ban the IP address that send the comments

Linz

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS