Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from the north rim of the Grand Canyon, USA  (Read 6784 times)

Karen Holt

• Joined Feb 2013
Re: Hello from the north rim of the Grand Canyon, USA
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 09:27:04 pm »
Yes, I will need several wind breaks. I was thinking of something very fast growing...like bamboo. BIG Bamboo that doesn't require humidty to grow. However I looked into a wind mill and the wind classification is very "Low wind".

The photo was taken in October, after a long dry summer. Hence the dry folage.

In the far distance (north-west) you can see the backs of the mountains that make up Zions National Park.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2013, 09:27:27 pm »
Hello and welcome from Durham in UK
You are certainly up for a lovely challenge project in your retirement to keep you busy  :sunshine:
I fluttered when I read where you are going to live and saw the piccie. My dream holiday has always been to trek the grand canyon on horseback, alas it will always just be a dream so keep those piccies coming  :excited:

I look forward to following your journey  :wave:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 09:33:04 pm »
hello! what an excellent project. definitely get some trees in, to help restart the ecosystem. good luck and best wishes from cornwall. :thumbsup:

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2013, 02:39:36 pm »
 :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:  What a brave woman you are Karen.  Good luck with your project.  Don't forget to take time out from all the hard work ahead and just 'be'  :)
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2013, 03:00:47 pm »
I hope youve got some guns to stay safe? Its a long way from any help where you are

Karen Holt

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2013, 04:18:42 pm »
Yes, Jackie 2. There is a security issue. I haven't really resolved that issue. It is really like homesteading from a century ago. Except that I will be using tools from this generation. I will pack up my belongings in a rental truck not a covered wagon, drive down to the property and set up a home on the land. A century ago, my greatgrand father was territorial governor. People and families did jusy as I will do...trying to carve a living from the land  The land is the same as they found. It is "virgin" land, it has not been tilled. The big clumps of grass maybe the same clumps they saw as they viewd the land.

Yes, perhaps I should get a gun......

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2013, 10:10:33 pm »
It sounds quite an adventure and is definitely very different from here.  TBH I don't think I could cope with the heat but you won't have to worry about your solar panels not getting enough sun.   :roflanim:

Karen Holt

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2013, 10:25:14 pm »
The HEAT

Well the property is at 5000 ft in altitude. Which makes it much cooler than St George, Ut about 45 miles away. It does get up to about 90 degrees. In that sitauion you must just work around it. Get up and get busier early in the morning m have a 4 or 5 hour rest then work again for a while in the evening. I will have a solor powered swamp cooler. That is what we use out here to stay cool.

Karen Holt

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 05:37:52 pm »
This is what a butt and pass log cabin looks like. The one is almost finished it was built by the couple who will live in it. This is a 30x30. I LOVE the roof on this one.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 09:35:17 pm »
Is that what you're aiming for?

Karen Holt

• Joined Feb 2013
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2013, 11:20:28 pm »
yes. but a 40x40 or 45x45 if I can get big enough logs.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2013, 09:47:18 pm »
It'll be great.  We'll want to see photos on here please.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS