Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What type of Logsplitter?  (Read 2644 times)

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
What type of Logsplitter?
« on: February 13, 2013, 09:13:13 pm »
I am currently looking to purchase a Logsplitter and cannot seem to decide on the best option. It would seem that there are two main types, either the tractor mounted screw type or the hydraulic type. The screw type seems quick and easy to use but would appear to be somewhat dangerous maybe? The hydraulic would seem safer but much slower. I have a fair amount of wood to split on a ongoing basis and was thinking something in excess of six tonnes on the hydraulic front would be needed? (Not electric) 

Any thoughts on best type based on your experiences would be much appreciated along with any makes you would recommend.

Thanks in advance.       Fishy.

Re: What type of Logsplitter?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 09:24:49 pm »
A 7 Tonne Splitter with a Briggs and stratton engine would give you flexibility of using away from power supplies.

The model we offer copes with logs upto 42" Long and upto 20" Diameter.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

pastie4x4

• Joined Sep 2012
  • tavistock
    • jtp landscapes
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 10:26:36 pm »
try trwengineering.co.uk i have there 22t splitter very good
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 10:50:48 pm by pastie4x4 »

si-mate

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Kent
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 09:10:24 am »
I've got one of these:

http://www.ktmmachinery.co.uk/product.php?id=12

It's probably not as good with really knotty bits as a screw type, but it will split everything you could split with an axe and more.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 07:01:32 pm »
10 ton hydraulic manual from machinemart is what we bought. Excellent -see earlier post.

digit

• Joined Sep 2009
  • near Swansea
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 08:23:31 pm »
I've got the screw type on the back of a tractor, I've had it at least 15 years and only had to change the bearing and its split hundreds of tons of fire wood and its fast.No hydraulic pipes and seal to worry about.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS