Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: MUSCOVY DUCKS(LINGS) Scottish Borders  (Read 4936 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
MUSCOVY DUCKS(LINGS) Scottish Borders
« on: July 14, 2012, 08:47:50 pm »
Lovely Muscovy ducks and drakes and young ones ready for sale.  We have lots ready now and lots more on the way - all colours, chocolate, lavender, white, etc.  Great temprament and super broodies.  £15 each.  We are half hour south of Edinburgh and are very easy to find.  Would prefer to sell asap or we will have to go to the auctions which I think are stressful.
Thanks for reading. Reply here or PM me many thanks.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

liffy

• Joined Jul 2012
Re: MUSCOVY DUCKS(LINGS) Scottish Borders
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 02:47:24 pm »
Hello
What age are the ducklings? We are looking for ones ready to go out with our other birds, and only ladies!
Thanks

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 04:04:04 pm »

I wpuld be interested in a trio, not too far from you and could collect on Wednesday if that was ok with you.
Anne

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 07:52:59 pm »
Just got both your messages, apologies internet wasn't happening this morning.

What a pity Anne, I was just passing your way it seems probably about the time your were writing your post - had taken the kids to Berwick swimming pool today for some summer fun.

We haven't sold any yet so we have lots - the ones ready now were born April 24th and have just learnt to fly this weekend (boys will fly in the next couple of weeks as they're heavier and slower to learn).  They were a mixed brood of 17 and were the product of several mums with one mum finally claiming the eggs (hence the big hatch) so I can give an unrelated male with 2 girlies.  Can give girlies only if you like but would like to know this week as the unclaimed boys will become a problem shortly and are more difficult to catch when they fly and so I will be employing a friend to deal with those  :innocent: and of course it would be nicer if they found homes.  We have several other broods coming up - I see the mum of our next brood which was of 11 has left them to it today, they are about three quarters grown and not yet flying.

Here's my mobile if anyone still interested 077696 83292.  We are easy peasy to find as the front of our site is on the main Edinburgh to Coldstream road A697.

Just so you know, Muscovy ducks fly but don't fly away.  Males don't like females of another species and may attack them when they (the males) are older.  Odd but true.  Our ducks roost at night on window boxes, shed roofs and fences etc, we don't shut them in, they take care of themselves and we have never had a problem.  They are very fertile and will multiple sit in a year.  We feed ours grain and brown bread, all wet food, we don't feed pellets.
Have a think and get back to me asap if interested. 
Many thanks for your replies.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

borderman

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 10:23:58 am »
[hI I WAS WONDERING IF YOU HAD ANY FEMALE DUCKS FOR SALE.

borderman

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 11:05:31 am »
Thanks for the information re the ducks.
I must say that I do feel that if I was buying them it is up to me whether I clip their wings or now.
As I explained to you I live next door to a busy road and think this is the best way to look after them.
To refuse to sell some to a good and loving home to me is very strange.
Maybe you should consider what is best for the birds.  With me they would get regular vet care, good feed and housing which is heated and secure. 

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 03:02:59 pm »
sorry borderman, didn't mean to offend - just a principle, I wouldn't knowingly sell to someone who wing clips - also don't like disbudding, claw removal, any of that, no matter the reason.

perhaps try some appleyards or aylesbury ducks?  we only have muscovy.

apologies, muscovy drakes by the way don't always tolerate females from other species so may attack.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS