Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cats & goats  (Read 2330 times)

Cyberhell

• Joined Jan 2013
Cats & goats
« on: February 05, 2013, 02:40:10 pm »
Anyone got any advice about introducing 2 new goat kids  :goat: :goat: to an existing posse of 3 female cats?   :cat: :cat: :cat:

Not too worried about the 2 older ones (14 and 12) but the youngest (eight) is a bit of a psycho and really highly strung.  Doesn't get on with our eldest and we have to keep them apart.  Hoping they'll take her down a peg or 2 but want to do the introductions properly to avoid potential for kicking off big style!  I've taken one of their toy mice to the breeders to get all goaty smelling and on our return they were interested and sniffy but didn't freak out.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Cats & goats
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 02:50:50 pm »
I'd be more worried for the goats than the cats. :)
Having just wormed and trimmed claws for four cats at the place I 'homehelp' I think cats have more than enough defences.  Give me goats any day.

Cyberhell

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 03:41:46 pm »
I'd be more worried for the goats than the cats. :)
Having just wormed and trimmed claws for four cats at the place I 'homehelp' I think cats have more than enough defences.  Give me goats any day.

That's my point! I'm not worried about the goats injuring the cats, I just want to make sure I introduce them properly so the cats don't freak at the goats.  They will be 12-14 weeks old when we get them so likely to be half as large again as the cats so at least they'll have a size advantage.  Psycho kitty has met 2 cocker spaniels and just stood still and did nothing when they came into the house so I'm hoping for a similar outcome with the kids.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 04:46:47 pm »
My cats have sniffed about the goats and when the goats first arrived, just looked intrigued but never really went near them!
Only one cat now and she keeps her distance but makes sure she's around when its milking time as she gets a bowl of milk while its still warm outside the back door!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 05:38:21 pm »
Sorry misunderstood ::)
Seriously though I don't really do cats, not my thing, don't know enough about their way of thinking. 

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 06:24:58 pm »
Our cat doesn't give a flying fish about our goats, or the geese, ducks, sheep, hens, dog .... ?  Aren't they all peasants my dear?   :cat:   ::)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 06:50:30 pm »
We have 3 cats that go out when they like (2 maine coon crosses and a persian) all 3 go into the goat shed and are totaly ignored by the goats and the cats  are not at all phased by the goats
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS