Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: collapsed goose  (Read 1638 times)

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
collapsed goose
« on: February 09, 2013, 04:45:22 pm »
The geese have been pootling about all day and i've just gone to walk them in and one of them has just bellyflopped and couldn't get up  she was flapping about hissing at me but couldn't get back on her feet...i've carried her inside but am clueless as to what to do next or what might be wrong  ??? .....can anyone help?

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: collapsed goose
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 05:29:00 pm »
If she looks acts drunk my money is on botulism.
I lost 2 ducks before Christmas to it, but I don't know if geese can actually get it. But your description sounds the same :-\

Warmth and water as first aid then I would ring the vet and ask about treatment. Good luck :fc:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 05:56:01 pm »
 Thanks CW   been reading and is looking horribly like    she's isolated and has food and water

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 06:53:18 pm »
I had a gander die this year (had to have him culled actually) and 3 goslings - all flopped but looked like it was a brain problem.  To cut a long story short it looked like it may have been in breeding and there was a kind of stroke involved.  Would be interesting to know what breed you have.  Hope she gets better.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 07:43:20 pm »
Something similar happened to one of our runner ducks last year. She could shove herself about on her legs as if swimming along the ground, but couldn't stand for some reason. She was like that for about three days, then just when I was about to put her out of her misery, she suddenly got better. I still have no clue what it was!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 07:58:47 pm »
She's an Embden. She has water and corn   managed to get on her feet but not stay on them

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 01:14:26 pm »
could the others have trampled her we had one who got trampled by others when got scared she made a full recovery but she was very of her legs for a few days as she was the smallest one getting ran over by 8 others.
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 02:35:47 pm »
Geese often have leg problems when younger but I take it this is a fully grown goose, perhaps if you could get her in a coop or a small run, perhaps with 1 other for company and let her rest her leg.

Let us know how it goes PF and good luck  :fc:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS