Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: my roll-mop recipe.  (Read 4074 times)

deepinthewoods

my roll-mop recipe.
« on: January 28, 2013, 09:11:09 pm »
if you can find some cheap herring, this is a great way to preserve them as a treat.  when i was a fishmonger i would make these by the hundred, selling them at £1 each and making a tidy profit!

for 10 rollmops:

5 herring, scaled and filleted.
make a strong brine and soak the fillets for an hour or so. once soaked rinse them off and check for pin bones.

a small onion and a couple of pickled gherkins, finely sliced.

roll up a fillet stuffed with a bit of onion and a slice of gherkin, spear with a toothpick to hold them rolled.

put these to one side whilst you make the marinade.

for the marinade:

1 cup each of:

white wine vinegar
pickling condiment
dry cider.
 and half a cup of a good balsamic.

add bay leaf (i used 3) a couple of heaped teaspoons of brown sugar and a shake of mustard seeds and some peppercorns (i like the mixed ones they're more fruity!)

reduce the marinade by about 20%. adjust the flavour now, taste it and add sugar or whatever you think it needs to bring it in.

let the marinade cool.
layer the rollmops with onion and some more gherkin in a sterile jar.
pour your delicious marinade over the rollmops to cover.

then chill.

i tend to put them in the warm marinade but you dont need to, i reckon the marinade soaks in better whilst its still warm.

you can eat them after 5 or so days, and they should keep in the fridge for a few weeks.

enjoy! :tree:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: my roll-mop recipe.
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 11:29:55 pm »
Excellent - I shall try this, I love rollmops  :thumbsup: (must be the Viking blood  :D)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 09:23:54 am »
I love them too bt noone else does  :(

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 10:19:27 am »
I have phases where I gobble them down  ::)  I have just tried making rollmops from sprats...because why not? Haven't sampled the brew yet though!

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 12:27:13 pm »
Thanks for this recipe - I'll give it a go cos my OH loves rollmops - personally can't stand them but hey ho!
 :wave:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 01:51:11 pm »
Always makes me think of my mum, she adored them, they, however, make me heave, she also loved Tripe and trotters and Brine....... :o  Good job we are not all the same though...mind you, I often see it reduced in all the supermarkets when we shop late!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS