Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poultry  (Read 1860 times)

Carol A

• Joined Jun 2009
Poultry
« on: June 17, 2009, 08:09:55 pm »
Please help..... being new to this business we've recently bought 3 Black Rocks (approx 16 weeks) and 3 Lowman Browns(18-21 weeks). We've had 3 eggs up to present, the first being a double yolker and the other 2 normal 1 yolk eggs. The problem we have is that we keep finding soft eggs(no shell) in the coup which have been laid during the night. Other than putting the grit in the food we cannot seem to find a solution. Please help as any advice will be gratefully received.
Caz n Tim

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Poultry
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 08:49:19 pm »
These pullets are only just starting laying, so you do get blips in the production line, as you are finding, i.e. no shells, big eggs, small eggs, funny shelled eggs.  I have the ex batteries who have the same problem, lack of calcium.  Adding a couple of spoonfuls of limestone flour to their feed does help (you will find it in horse feed shops or agricultural supplies).  Not expensive and it does the job.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 08:57:31 pm »
That sounds like a much cheaper alternative to what I do which is give them grated cheese (probably illegal)!  Some people also save the egg shell slow bake it for a bit and then crush it into the hens food - you are then replacing the calcium they have lost - I've never tried this though.  Don't worry your hens will sort themselves out!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 11:04:30 am »
Crushed oyster shell may do the trick.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS