Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Website creation  (Read 2038 times)

arborexplora

• Joined Jul 2011
  • County Durham
Website creation
« on: January 24, 2013, 05:12:34 pm »
Hello all,

I am considering setting up a website for my parents. One reason would be to promote the sales of outdoor reared Saddleback pork when it occurs, but also to promote their craft works, i.e. quilting.

Can anyone who has created their own website offer any advice on how they approached it?

Obviously I will need to buy the domain but are there really any free templates available (most I have seen require a monthly fee to host).

Cheers, Richard

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Website creation
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 05:52:38 pm »
Hello

I used the free website www.webs.com when I first set up. There is a shop but I think you are limited to 10 items while still using the free space.

mine is www.itsbaaathtime.com if you want to have a look at what they can offer. Its ever so simple to use and I've never had any issues.

Lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

arborexplora

• Joined Jul 2011
  • County Durham
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 07:03:56 pm »
Thanks Lisa,

I will check it out!

Had a look at your website, very good. I will have my wife look at your store. She along with two out of the three children have very dry skin. At the moment they are all on medication for the eczema i.e. epiderm, eumovate etc.

Cheers Richard

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 07:11:41 pm »
I've used weebly.com to create a free website for my partner's business
www.automaticgatescornwall.co.uk
Dead easy, drag and drop and lots of functionality
You can upgrade to a fee based one but we don't have any need for that
Good luck
Tish  :wave:

pheonix

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 09:49:46 pm »
wev used webs too and linked our domain to it. very easy. we did use the webs free domain for a while with no bother. remember to get a facebook page too.
dont use godaddy - i paid for 2 yrs upfront to run a shop with godaddy but its sooo difficult to use iv given up with it.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 11:51:52 pm »
Mine was playing up, so I've just rebuilt it using Weebly (still working on it, should you take a look, so please bear that in mind! It's www.lizshankland.com ).
As Sudanpan says, very easy to use (knocked mine together in about 24hrs, but I did have all the content ready) once you get the hang of it, but I found it a bit restrictive. Maybe there are other things I still have to learn about it. The free version only gives you six pages, but that's plenty.
The site builder is free, but my hosting for that one is with JustHost. I have another one hosted by GoDaddy, and I'll be switching hosting of the first one to them soon, because it works out cheaper.
The main thing, if you're starting from scratch, is to plan out exactly what you want the site to say, what each page will be about, etc.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:55:47 pm by Tudful Tamworths »
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

shropshire_blue

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Dorset BH21
    • Making Life Exciting Again...
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 12:05:06 am »
I do this kind of thing for lots of people, and thoroughly recommend wordpress.  If you want any help feel free to ask!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 09:43:12 am »
There is another thread running on the same topic - were are our school monitors - can they combine them?  :excited:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS