Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: To be there or not to be there...  (Read 3304 times)

AnnaLouise2012

• Joined Jul 2012
To be there or not to be there...
« on: January 05, 2013, 11:56:03 am »
Hiya  :wave:
Happy New Year!

For those who haven't seen my previous posts at the end of last year, I have a 9month old Anglo Arab X Spotted colt, who I bought in December. I've been spending lots of time with him and h's learning very quickly and has bonded to me very well.

I plan to get him gelded before he turns 1 and also freeze marked with a number - I read in a youngster training book that it is best not to be there during these painful experiences so that he doesn't associate the bad experience with me. Although my nurturing and caring instinct thinks that I should be there to comfort him. Obviously, I don't want him to think of me as the bad guy who puts him through these painful times! What should i do? Let my parents be there instead? or be there myself?

2 more questions! (Sorry!)

I got my miniature gelded at the vets and he stayed in for the afternoon but I am worried that Indi (my colt) will get very worked up and anxious without his miniature friends and the comfort of home and that it would be a very distressed time for him. ive heard you can get the vet to come out at home and do it there. Would he then associate the field and his stable with this? Is it safer to get it done in the vets?

Lastly (sorry!) where is best to get the freeze mark? Where the saddle will be? Shoulder? I plan to show him and wondered if it mattered.

Thankyou for reading! Would be interested in your thoughts!

Anna  :horse:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: To be there or not to be there...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 02:24:06 pm »
Hi  :wave:
We had our little fella gelded in the stable here, he barely batted an eyelid! He certainly doesn't hold it against me and I was with him the whole time  :)
Can't help with the freeze marking though non of ours are done.

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 04:25:11 pm »
The vet will tell you if he needs to go in to the vets or not. If both testicles have descended fine then in most cases gelding is a simple procedure done stood up under a local/sedative either in the field or a large stable ( not one where he is likely to get cast if he falls). Whether you are there or not he wont associate you with this and if he does it will only be for a couple of days. If you are going to be worried don't be there as it will more than likely make him nervous and the job more difficult.
Re. freezemarking its a difficult one. Horses are not supposed to be marked down for it but then you don't see many if any at county level that have been marked. People do get them freezemarked under the saddle or under the mane so its not visible when showing but then whats the point. Its a visual deterrent to stop thieves and if its easy to hide then the horse is still sellable when stolen or failing that will be dumped somewhere. If you do go for freezemarking get letters and numbers which cannot easily be altered.

Workhorse

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 12:16:59 am »
Be there, it will be an experience for you that you can learn from, and he wont hold it against you!
 Most of the time it is better to have it done outside in the winter, less chance for infection to set in, no flies, and being able to move about afterwards will help the swelling to go down and for it to drain!1 But your vet will advise you!
 I would have the freeze mark done in the saddle area!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 05:57:25 pm »
I have always been there as I feel its better for the animal to have someone they are used to. All mine are mircochipped so i have not gone down the freeze marking route.

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 07:23:34 pm »
Over the years I've experienced quite a few of my dad's colts being gelded. The oldest was actually a full stallion and he was 8. He fainted when it happened! My dad had his 5 year old heavy coloured cob gelded back in october and the the horse bears him no grudges, dad was there to lend a hand if needed. As for freezemarking, none of ours have been done. I'm going to go down the microchipping route with my Sec c mare.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

Workhorse

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 11:14:23 pm »
the good thing about freeze branding is that it is a visual deterrent, thieves cant see if you'r horse has a microchip! 

AnnaLouise2012

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 09:31:41 am »
Thanks everyone! I will talk to the vet and see if he can be done at home, if not, then I will have to take him in. Thanks for all the advice :) yes I wanted a visual deterrent as he is already microchipped. Can i still show him if he has a freeze mark on his shoulder? I want it to be clear so he isnt stolen!!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 07:16:08 pm »
A lot of Exmoors have a branding number and they are shown without problems.

moony

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Dent
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 08:29:28 pm »
All pure exmoors have to be branded though if they are good enough to register.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 09:48:37 pm »
There should be no problem doing it at home if you have a stable and plenty of light. Both mine were done in the field shelter, long story but one ended up with minimal anaesthetic and still loves me! Even the difficult one who nearly kicked the vet even with anaesthetic doesn't hold it against me. It is a bit gory but at least you know he is being well treated if you are there.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 08:26:20 am »
You can still show with a FM on the shoulder but unless it is a breed where all of them will have it, I do think judges find it distracting and horses dont do as well as they should,
All of mine have been done on the back (to one side). Thieves check for FMs and tend to leave ones with them, wherever they are 'stamped', also wheever it is done it provides that categoric evidence of identity at easy glance.
For about a fiver extra you can get a personalised FM, I did this with my mare. It means you can choose a word which is easy to remember so if they are nicked, people will remember what to look out for.

AnnaLouise2012

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 05:50:00 pm »
Thanks everyone for all the advice! I will save up the extra money and have him done at his home as I think it will be less stressful for him - thanks for all the positivity & personal experiences :) & I will get him freeze marked at the saddle area so I can show him without judges finding fault in the presence of a FM. Sounds good about the personal FM too. Thanks everyone x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS