Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: boots made for digging  (Read 14477 times)

mrs tweedy

• Joined Jul 2011
  • newark notts
boots made for digging
« on: January 06, 2013, 09:01:23 pm »
can anyone recommend any good boot/wellington that will withstand digging.  I get through many pairs whilst gardening, the spade just seems to destruct the soles - thanks for reading.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: boots made for digging
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 12:58:05 am »
I buy steel-toe-capped, lace-up, leather work boots from Engelbert Strauss.  Some designs go down to a ladies size 4 and they are hard-wearing with a strong sole.  I don't like to dig with a spade with sharp corners though as those destroy anything   :garden:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Donald

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 08:34:36 am »
Hello,

I really don't know if this is a helpful contribution at all, but I use all wooden shoes, out there in the garden too.

Greetings,

Don Wagstaff

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 09:00:14 am »
I have damaged my "plantar fascia" by digging in wellies. Not sure how long it will take before I can get out of bed and walk properley but I have now got a replacement pair of Groundworks steel toes and stell sole insert boots.
A good pair of boots is essential and I feel foolish trying to save money on delaying buying my replacement boots and working in wellies.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 11:59:42 am »
Muck boots might be up to the job. I have the Tay ones and they have a very thick sole.

Helen

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 12:37:47 pm »
I dig  with a long handled Cornish shovel,easier on the back and the boots as hardly any pressure needed.

Goldcraig

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Ayrshire
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 03:41:12 pm »
I wear Muckboots also, really thick soles and comfortable as well...only downside is the neoprene sides, think 8 hours in waders and you'll catch my drift....at least if you stand downwind you will :innocent:
Trust me.....I'm a Chef !!

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 05:18:22 pm »
I like the muck boots too But do find I tend to ship quite a few lumps of mud into the tops!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 06:53:30 pm »
Yes like Muckboots too but get the type with the tyre grip sole not the smooth crissy-crossy sole as they get slippy in the frost and snow or on wet timber.  A steel toecapped boot without laces would be good as don't like muddy laces (find rigger boots a bit on the rigid side though).
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 08:34:27 pm »
I always wear safety boots and wellies - steel toecaps and midsole.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 12:01:13 pm »
i have muck boots too but find them too heavy and cumbersome for digging and gardening in general so i have Timberland boots for gardening generally if its not too wet so long as you look after them they last pretty well and are comfortable and support your ankles.
Mandy :pig:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 04:28:20 pm »
I use Aigle Wellies for everyday use and I think they will cope with the heavy digging. The spare pair is steel-reinforced for use with animals, brand name is Titan. They will definitely cope but I do get sore feet in them after a while. :&>

mrs tweedy

• Joined Jul 2011
  • newark notts
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 09:22:00 pm »
Hi everyone,   just wanted to say thanks for all your replies and I have taken on board all your comments. Can't wait to get sowing seeds, actually I was so impatient I already have chilli and pepper seedlings on the window sills!  Good luck to you all in the coming growing season and thanks again!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS