Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: dog deaths  (Read 2150 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
dog deaths
« on: January 14, 2013, 08:21:31 am »
just though I'd better forward this  :&>

Many of you are pet lovers and I thought you would like to know the following, just in case…
[size=0pt]Subject:[/size][size=0pt] Warning for all dog people, cats too...[/size]

If you're walking anywhere near where there is or has been flooding, please rinse all mud, muck off your pets when you get home, towelling down is not enough!  Several dogs have been very ill that I know of and some have died in pain, vets unable to save them.

I've been towelling Millie down after each walk but have not been able to stop her recurrent gut upsets and came close to losing her the other week the day after she waded through flood water.  One bloke lost his 14 month old healthy weim after he swam in flood water.

copying some info I came across, there will be more....

[size=0pt]EVERYONE PLEASE BE AWARE:

THERE HAVE BEEN SEVERAL CASES OF DOGS SUFFERING FROM SKIN LESIONS, LETHARGY AND SICKNESS AND IN THREE (3) OUT OF FIVE (5) RENAL FAILURE, FITS AND DEATH.

PERSONALLY, WE HAVE LOST TWO DOGS IN THE LAST WEEK, BOTH WERE KENNEL DOGS AND AFTER A DAY’S BEATING WERE PUT BACK IN THEIR KENNELS - SOMETHING THAT MOST PEOPLE DO, THE THIRD DOG LIVES IN AND WAS BATHED!

ANOTHER DOG ALSO PRESENTED WITH THESE SYMPTOMS , BUT AS WITH OUR HOUSE DOG IT HAD BEEN BATHED AND TREATMENT SEEMS TO HAVE CONTOLLED THE SITUATION THOUGH BOTH THESE DOGS ARE UNDER SURVEILANCE AND ARE STILL HAVING REGULAR
BLOOD TESTS AS THERE IS STILL A CHANCE OF RENAL FAILURE.

WE HAVE TODAY LEARNT THAT A YOUNG SPANIEL, WHO HAS PRESENTED WITH THE SAME SYMPTOMS, DESPITE VISITING THE VET AND RECEIVING ANTIBIOTICS, AS THE VET DIDN’T FEEL IT NECESSARY TO CARRY OUT BLOODTESTS AS HE FELT THE OWNER WAS OVER REACTING, HAS ALSO DIED.

PLEASE ,PLEASE, PLEASE - IF YOUR DOG HAS SPOTS ON IT'S LEGS, TUMMY ETC, AND IS LETHARGIC SEEK VETERINARY ADVICE IMMEDIATELY AND INSIST ON A BLOODTEST TO CHECK FOR RENAL FAILURE.

ASK YOUR VETS TO SPEAK TO MARTIN AND CARR OF PERSHORE (TOM CARR OR JAMES) WHO ARE MORE THAN HAPPY FOR YOU TO DISCUSS THE SITUATION WITH THEM AS THEY HAVE THREE WEEKS EXPERIENCE OF DEALING WITH THIS PROBLEM. IF YOU WISH YOU CAN ALSO SPEAK TO STEVE 07754 298867 OR 01905 840664 (EVENINGS ONLY)

WE WOULD SUGGEST THAT ANYONE WHO TAKES THEIR DOG INTO THE SHOOTING FIELD TAKES THE TIME TO BATH THEM WHEN THEY GET HOME SO THAT THEY DO NOT LICK THEMSELVES AND INGEST
ANYTHING POTENTIALLY FATAL.

Steve Smith
Chairman
WGDS

Then another on the same subject, cross posted from Companion Care Vets, Eastbourne:-

DO YOU WALK YOU DOGS IN WOODLAND?

More reports are coming through of dogs becoming seriously ill and even dying after being exercised in woodland. Symptoms include lethargy, a rash on the belly, vomiting and diarrhoea. The cause is as yet unknown and these may be more cases of Seasonal Canine Illness suggesting it has spread to more areas. If your dog shows these symptoms after exercising in woodland get him to a vet very quickly and ask for blood tests for kidney function to be done as the affected dogs die from renal failure. Blood tests wouldn't normally be suggested straight away for a dog with vomiting, and there will be lots of dogs who simply have a tummy bug, but early testing will mean supportive treatment can start early and increase the chance of survival.

....and the vet report on affected dogs......

Here is the report from the vets, "Martin & Carr" on three of the dogs who died.

[/color]http://www.worcsgundogsociety.co.uk/pdf ... t%20vs.pdf
[/font][/size]

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: dog deaths
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:28:05 am »
Scary  :o Looks like they think it was Lepto but say that not all strains are covered by the vaccine. So yes, they're recommending washing dogs down and towelling dry.

I guess people had better be careful too then.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 09:14:10 am »
My 4 year old Parsons terrier has been very poorly with exactly those symptoms - took him in to vets and so glad I did!  He's on antibiotics and into the vets again today.  He's better than he was, but not quite right - they did discuss blood tests, so I had better prepare myself for a big vet bill!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 09:29:22 am »
There was something about this back of last year on Countryfile, max was out beating on saturday so will keep an eye on him, thanks for the tip off.
mandy :pig:

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 10:52:11 am »
Thanks for posting NFD.  Is this regional?
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 11:01:00 am »
a national warning, I would think. Originated from the Eastbourne region but I had the email from northern Scotland :&>

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 11:14:57 am »
That is scary.  Think I'll keep my dogs on drier ground for a while.  We are fortunate in that we have disused railways which have been converted into miles of footpaths.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 12:14:39 pm »
also as well as Lepto not all Weils disease strains are covered by the vaccs and our friend lost a young Rottie to it, not even a splasher/swimmer but a bit of a puddle licker :-((((

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 12:57:23 pm »
Martin and carr are our local vets! Thank you for posting this, very worrying  :-\
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS