Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Etsy  (Read 3838 times)

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
Etsy
« on: January 13, 2013, 10:53:29 pm »
I wondered if any of you ever sell any of your goods on Etsy? I have a friend of mine that's very crafty (in the arty sense  :D ) and she's asked me if I might share a shop with her. I don't keep a stock of the stuff I make but it would be nice to make an extra bit of cash!
Do any of you have any experience of selling on Etsy? Would be nice to hear of your experiences  :eyelashes: 
Thanks  :knit:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 11:27:18 pm by SmallTimeSmallholder »

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
Re: Etsy
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:13:53 am »
I opened an account but don't use it very much , I find I sell better having a market stall once in a while when I have too much stuff. What do you make?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 09:50:56 am »
I think Ellisr used to sell her things through Etsy but haven't seen her on her for a while.
Maybe you could try pm'ing her
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 10:42:39 am »
What do you make?

An assortment of stuff really, hats, scarves, gloves, quite a lot of jumpers, cardies, tank tops for the kids. I've only really knitted for the family, but, like so many of us, could do with some extra cash.
What do you find sells well (if you don't mind me asking)  :eyelashes: [size=78%] [/size]

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 11:10:46 am »
We had a good look at Etsy and FOLKSY ( UK version). We are currently making our own web site to keep advertising and commision costs down.
Given that not one of my family had heard of Etsy or Folksy I wonder how succesful the site is for vendors. My feeling is that a high percentage of the traffic on Etsy is of those who are looking to sell and not buy. I guess the real trick is to refer people to your own products displayed on Etsy but you will be paying for this per item/4 month period - then commison if you sell.
The other point is that you will need to create stock to have available to sell. The fallback of a periodic market stall sounds good.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 12:01:41 pm »
I have a friend who does the occasional craft market and she has said she will sell stuff for me on a commission basis.  Maybe worth seeing if you could find someone, ofr join with someone else to share the cost and the manning of the stall.

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 12:54:36 pm »
[
An assortment of stuff really, hats, scarves, gloves, quite a lot of jumpers, cardies, tank tops for the kids. I've only really knitted for the family, but, like so many of us, could do with some extra cash.
What do you find sells well (if you don't mind me asking)  :eyelashes: [size=78%] [/size]
Ask away  ;)
It is a bit tricky though as I live in an area with 5-6 months of snow! But my handspun is fairly popular and woolen hats which I have knitted for me in my own wool. Hobby people are beginning to needle felt so I am surprised how much carded wool I sell. Raw washed wool for decorating Father Christmas. (That goes all year)
 Home made soap goes well -again something I sell for a friend. I sit and spin when at the market. Takes some doing at -10. I go more to avertise my lamb meat and café. Oh, and of course I have sheep skins. But I live in a different country with different traditions. The Norwegians have a good economy and they come on holiday to Jämtland where prices are lower.

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 01:57:01 pm »
Thanks everyone,
You have helped me decide. I think a market stool would be a good idea. All I have to do now is to decide what to make  :-J
I hadn't considered selling carded wool - what a good idea! Nothing to lose there! If it doesn't sell then I'll just take it home and spin it!  ;)
I think the nice thing about making something out of your own hand spun is it makes it completely different to what you can buy in the shops. Unfortunately I don't have any sheep, so I won't be able to do skins. Shame because I love them.
I'll go and knit up a big pile or stock, which should then guarantee a long hot summer when no one will want knit wear!  :D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 04:44:34 pm »
But everyone will love you for causing the hot summer.   ;)

I could be interested in carded wool as I have no way of carding. 

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 06:11:01 pm »
MGM I have PM'd you  :thumbsup:

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 07:50:59 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 08:27:21 pm »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS