Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fordson major engines  (Read 2868 times)

Kentishsteve

• Joined Sep 2012
Fordson major engines
« on: January 07, 2013, 08:29:06 pm »
If I was to replace an engine in a fordson major what engine could I use other than the original ?

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
Re: Fordson major engines
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 08:04:21 pm »
Your opening a can of worms trying to put something different in,  ..........dont get me wrong it has been done many times, especially with majors as they have a seperate sub frame, but by engineers/ mechanics with knowledge and access to all the tools. 

I have a friend who bought a second hand engine, the same one but out of a compressor, turned out the sump was different and wouldnt fit round the front axle, went and got a 2nd hand sump , but then the oil pickup would fit,  even with the help of a mechanic who helped me do a full not and bolt rebuild of a fergy, they eventually gave up and sold the whole lot on.

Id guess your cheapest/easiest options are engine rebuild (i think kits are available for the major) or 2nd hand engine from another tractor------but my thoughts are always this with 2nd hand engines.... people dont tend to remove engines unless they are broke !  To many unknowns to make the call, whats wrong with your current engine, what kind of order is the tractor in are all factors.

Just my thoughts, others may be able to advise differently.

cwmearl

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Fordson major engines
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:14:08 pm »
I've got a '52 Fordson Major Diesel, bought it last year, the engine on it had been replaced with a more reliable version as the '52 had some issues. Think the 'new' engine came from a a 1954, but can't remember, will have a look at the castings and find out.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS