Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flukicides - rotation?  (Read 2391 times)

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
Flukicides - rotation?
« on: January 08, 2013, 08:40:34 pm »
I currently use Endofluke.

Is it ok to repeat administer same brand/make of flukicide?
thanks

Sheep

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Flukicides - rotation?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 09:21:08 pm »
It's ok but vets generally recommend using a different one at least once in the year in case of resistance especially to triclabendazole.  (Which is the active ingredient in Endofluke.)

Our vet has recently suggested that we use triclabendazole for all doses one year, closantel for all doses the next year, then back to triclabendazole.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 09:30:11 pm »
Is there another flukicide out there that kills all three stages of fluke, like Triclabendazole? Also has there been resistance to it reported, and if yes where?

I had been told by my vet to continue using Fasinex as he said there is no resistance to it (this was last Spring when I was considering what if anything to rotate to...)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 09:44:26 pm »
Anke, your vet will know what if any resistance there is around you, so I would re-check with him/her annually in case things change - and then follow his/her advice.

Our vet has only recently (this summer) been seeing some resistance to triclabendazole in our area.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 10:00:48 pm »
Thanks.  :thumbsup:

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 09:23:11 am »
I wouldn't feel so sure about using a closantel based in place of a triclabendazole based unless you are taking into account that you will be missing the young fluke and thus may need more treatments of closantel based in that year. Alternating will lower the chances of resistance forming though. You could alternate by using closantel based at certain times in the year when less likely to have young fluke. I.e at turn out.

Nope TCBZ is the only one that will get all stages. TCBZ resistance is in the UK, but it isn't everywhere. I know of at least one farm that has been rigorously confirmed to have resistance, and many others that have strongly suspected. But SiN is right, your vet will know the situation in the area. If you are worried about resistance in your flock do a faecal egg count reduction test (get an egg count for fluke done before and 2-3 weeks after treatment).

HTH

Dans

edited because I sent too soon
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:28:14 am by Dans »
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS