Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ewe's cycle  (Read 3232 times)

firemansam

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Staffordshire
ewe's cycle
« on: January 08, 2013, 08:10:58 pm »
How late in the year will ewes generally cycle. I have some easycare ewes, will they still be able to take the ram in feb

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
Re: ewe's cycle
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 07:08:27 am »
 :wave:

I was asking a similar thing about buying two ewes last weekend.

I needn't have worried  :o :o .  Our ram was on our ladies within hours, even though they are not so interested  :roflanim: .   Looks like a benny hill show half the time!

I'm no expert, but I would expect you may be ok.

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 01:59:49 pm »
Last year we put the ram to some of our Shetlands first week in January.  They were all covered within 3 weeks - but our Shetland girls are total flirty Gerties !

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 05:26:42 pm »
Will you really want to be lambing in July, though?  Grass may be poor by then and it doesn't give the ewes much chance to regain condition before returning to the tup if you want to lamb in Spring next year.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 05:35:46 pm »
also might be into fly season while they are still feeding from mum - milky udder attracting the flies? And makes shearing a bit of a headache in terms of lambs not being very independent. OK if early Feb maybe but I wouldnt ideally want it later. Esp as ewes could take a few days/week to come into season. But in answer to the question, I think it is likely ram will get them in lamb, yes.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 06:00:00 pm »
And makes shearing a bit of a headache in terms of lambs not being very independent.

Easycare don't need shearing, as far as I am aware!

And anyway, you can shear before lambing. Doesn't seem to do the lambs any harm.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 06:10:36 pm »
Also if you lamb in July you don't give your lambs much time out on good grass before winter sets in, when they will still be growing and require extra feed on top of the normal winter feed/hay they normally need.

firemansam

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 06:27:25 pm »
I have a tup in with mine until the end of the month as they were last yrs lambs, this what the farmer sold me when I asked for something that I could lamb with in 2013!
He then loaned me a ram for 8 weeks basically dec and jan. Hense the question.
I know what you are all thinking but you live and learn.
 And yes quite clearly these are my 1st sheep.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 06:46:20 pm »
I have ewes due to lamb in march but I'm also putting some to a ram next week,
Due to the fact I have access to loads of grass over the winter and no barns to lamb in over the winter.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS